英语小达人 293 God Will Pay the Bill(在线收听) |
God Will Pay the Bill 上帝会付账
A man was brought to the hospital, and taken quickly in for emergency surgery. The operation went well, and as the groggy man regained consciousness, he was reassured by a Sister of Mercy, who was waiting by his bed.
一个人进了医院后立刻就被送去做急诊手术。手术一切正常,当他从昏昏沉沉中醒来时,一个修女正在床边照顾他。
"Mr. Smith, you're going to be just fine," said the nun, gently patting his hand. "We do need to know, however, how you intend to pay for your stay here. Are you covered by insurance?"
“史密斯先生,你会好起来的,”修女轻轻地拍着他的手说,“但是,我们现在要知道,你准备怎么支付这里的医疗费用。你上保险了吗?”
"No, I'm not," the man whispered hoarsely.
“不,我没上保险,”他用嘶哑的嗓音低声说道。
"Can you pay in cash?" persisted the nun.
“那么你能用现金支付吗?”修女接着问。
"I'm afraid I cannot, Sister."
“我恐怕不能,修女。”
"Well, do you have any close relatives?" the nun essayed.
“那么,你有近亲吗?”修女继续问道。
"Just my sister in New York," he volunteered. "But she's a spinster nun."
“只有一个妹妹在纽约,”他说,“可她是个老处女修女。”
"Oh, I must correct you, Mr. Smith. Nuns are not 'spinsters'; they are married to God."
“噢,史密斯先生,我一定得更正你,修女不是‘老处女’,她们是嫁给了上帝。”
"Really...wonderful," said Smith. "In that case, you can send the bill to my brother-in-law!"
“是吗……这太棒了,”史密斯说,“如果是那样的话,你们可以把账单寄给我妹夫!”
重点讲解:
1. go well
进展顺利;
eg. If you could bring forward any evidence, all would go well.
如果你能拿出证据来,一切就解决了。
eg. Things didn't go well for us at first, but everything is fine now.
我们起初不很顺利,现一切都好了。
2. intend to do sth.
想要;打算;计划做某事;
eg. She intends to do A levels and go to university.
她计划先参加高级考试,然后去读大学。
eg. I intend to forgive him.
我打算原谅他。
3. in that case
那样的话;在那种情况下;
eg. Perhaps you've some doubts about the attack. In that case it may interest you to know that Miss Woods witnessed it.
你也许对这起袭击还有些怀疑。那么如果我告诉你伍兹小姐亲眼目睹了这起事件,你可能会感兴趣。
eg. In that case, we won't wait any longer.
那我们就不再等了。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/246791.html |