迷你对话:
A:Okay, can I ask you something direct?
B:Ha! It's not like you've ever been one to beat around the bush.
A:Fair enough. Give it to me straight. Did she bully you into this?
B:No, seriously . . . I really want this.
A:I tell ya, when I got the invite, it really threw me for a loop. You've done a complete 180.
B:I know. But things have changed. I guess I've settled down.
A : I guess so.
参考翻译 :
A: 我能问你些事儿吗?
B: 哈!这可不像你,你说话从来都不拐弯抹角的。
A :说得对。跟我说实话不。她威胁你这么做吗?
B: 不是的。我真的想这样。
A :告诉你,当我拿到请帖的时候我很惊讶。你的态度转了180度。
B :我知道,但是事情变了,我想就这么定了。
A: 我想是吧。
词海拾贝:
1.beat around the bush拐弯抹角,说话绕圈子
He beat around the bush for a half hour without coming to the point.
他东拉西扯地谈了半小时,也没说到点子上。
You don't have to beat around the bush. Just tell me what the problem is so I can fix it.
你不必跟我兜圈子。直接说出你的问题,我好解决。
2.fair enough:有道理,说得对
Fair enough, you bring the drinks and I'll provide the food.
说得对,你带饮料来,我供应食品。
Fair enough, I think that's a very reasonable price.
有道理,我认为那是非常公道的价格。
Fair enough, Captain. Just come and see me If you change your mind.
有道理,上校。如果有需要再来啊。
3.give it to someone straight:直截了当告诉
You want to live at your office. Why? Give it to me straight.
你想住办公室,为什么?有什么话就直说吧。
If you don't come clean right now I'll call your old man in here and give it to him straight.
如果你不马上坦白,我就要把你老子喊来,把这些情况直截了当地告诉他。
He asked the doctor to give it to him straight and tell him what the matter is.
他请求医生将他的情况据实相告。
4.bully someone into something:威胁某人干某事
The manager tried to bully his men into work harder by threatening them with dismissal
经理企图以解雇相威胁,迫使职工更卖力气。
He tried to bully me into supporting him.
他企图威胁我支持他。
If she had to wait much longer, Mammy would certainly come in search of her and bully her into the house.
如果她还要等候很久,嬷嬷就一定会来寻找她,并把她赶回家去。
She had employed this person to bully John into marrying her.
她现在买通了这个人来威胁他去和她结婚。
5.do a 180:有180度的大转变
She does do a 180 in study this term, tired of study.
她这个学期在学习上完全改变了。 |