When the great director Billy Wilder was asked what makes a movie unforgettable, his answer was simple, "A little bit of magic!" We're all here tonight or sitting at home watching because something came off a movie screen: a little bit of magic touched our lives. And you always remember where you were: the theater, the popcorn, the people you were with when it happened. 1968, my family was living in Ottawa, Canada, the movie was Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey; I couldn't help stop thinking about what is life, what is space, what is existence? I was 6 years old. And I knew right then and there I wanted to be an astronaut.
当人们问大导演比利·怀尔德,什么可以使一部电影令人难忘时,他的回答非常简洁:“一点点魅力!”今天晚上出席这个盛会的所有嘉宾或家庭电视观众都在关注着,因为电影屏幕上出现了引人瞩目的东西:那触动了我们生活的“一点点魅力”。当电影上演的时候,你不会忘记你周围的环境:剧院、爆米花,还有陪伴你的人。1968年,我们全家生活在加拿大的渥太华。那时有一部斯坦利·库布里克主演的电影《2001年太空漫游》在上演。看过这部电影后,我禁不住在想:什么是生命?什么是宇宙?什么是存在?那时候我6岁,当时我只想当一名宇航员。
My family traveled a lot: the white-hot thrill of Jaws that was Louisville, Kentucky; senior year, New Jersey Apocalypse Now, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania Raging Bull. I knew I wanted to be an actor. In good times and poor times, movies were my lifesaver.
我的家庭经历过数次搬迁,在肯塔基州的路易斯维尔给予我最强烈震撼的是《大白鲨》;年长一点儿后,在新泽西州和宾夕法尼亚州的弗吉谷,我又先后受到《现代启示录》和《愤怒的公牛》两部电影的感染。那时我又想成为一名演员。无论身处顺境还是逆境,电影都是我的救生员。
重点讲解:
1. a little bit
一点儿;
eg. There's a little bit of time left.
只剩一点儿时间了。
eg. We should manage, with a little bit of luck.
我们只要有一点点运气就能应付过去。
2. then and there
立即;立刻;
eg. A friend of Pip's invited them then and there to his college ball that night.
皮普的一个朋友当时就邀请他们参加他当晚的大学舞会。
eg. He became a vegetarian right then and there.
从那时起,他成了一个素食者。
3. white-hot
白热的;炽热的;
eg. It is important to get the coals white-hot before you start.
在动手之前把炭火烧旺很重要。
eg. The debate became white - hot.
争论达到了白热化的程度。
背景介绍:
奥斯卡奖(Academy Awards)通称奥斯卡金像奖。每年由美国电影艺术与科学学院颁发,旨在鼓励优秀电影的创作与发展,不仅是美国电影业界年度最重要的活动,也倍受世界瞩目。
美国电影艺术与科学学院是一个职业荣誉会员组织,2003年时有5816名投票会员,其中演员会员有1131名。出席奥斯卡颁奖典礼需得到邀请,并没有向公众发行与会门票。因此能参加奥斯卡奖颁奖礼本身就是一种电影界身份的象征。奥斯卡奖自1929年设立以来每年都在加州洛杉矶举行颁奖礼,而自2002年第74届颁奖礼开始,好莱坞柯达剧院成为奥斯卡永久举行地。
名人经典:
In good times and poor times, movies were my lifesaver.
无论在顺境还是逆境中,电影都是我的救生员。 |