英语听书《海底两万里》第39期 第4章 尼德兰(8)(在线收听) |
That's just where you're mistaken, professor, Ned replied. 教授;这是因为您搞错了。尼德兰说。
The common man may still believe in fabulous comets crossing outer space, or in prehistoric monsters living at the earth's core,
一般的人相信有横过天空的非常特殊的慧星,有住在地球内部的太古时代的侄物,那还可以,
but astronomers and geologists don't swallow such fairy tales. It's the same with whalers.
但天文学家,地质学家,决不承认有这类荒唐古怪的东西存在。打鲸鱼的人也一样。
I've chased plenty of cetaceans, I've harpooned a good number, I've killed several.
鲸科动物,我追逐过许多,我用鱼叉叉过很多,我也杀死过好几条,
But no matter how powerful and well armed they were, neither their tails or their tusks could puncture the sheet-iron plates of a steamer.
可是,不论那些鲸鱼力量怎样大,怎样凶,它们的尾巴也好它们的长牙也好,决不能弄坏一艘汽船的钢板。
Even so, Ned, people mention vessels that narwhale tusks have run clean through.
尼德兰,可是,独角鲸的牙齿把船底钻通了的传说并不少。
Wooden ships maybe, the Canadian replied. But I've never seen the like.
木头船,那是可能的,加拿大人回答,不过,就是这样的事我也没有亲眼见过。
So till I have proof to the contrary, I'll deny that baleen whales, sperm whales, or unicorns can do any such thing.
所以,在没有真凭实据之前,我不能承认长须鲸、大头鲸、独角鲸可以穿透钢板。
Listen to me, Ned.
尼德兰,您好好听我说……
No, no, professor. I'll go along with anything you want except that. Some gigantic devilfish maybe...?
不,教授,什么都可以听您,这个可不能。也许这是一条巨大的章鱼吧?…… |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/272675.html |