生活大爆炸第二季第六集_1: The Cooper-Nowitzki(在线收听) |
-Leonard:So, if any ofyou are considering going into experimental physics, my door is always open. consider:考虑 go into:从事 experimental physics:实验物理学
如果你们对应用物理有兴趣,随时欢迎。
Once again, I'm sorry that the demonstration didn't quite work out, but now we know what happens when you accidentally spill Peach Snapple into a helium neon laser.
demonstration:示范 work out:产生结果accidentally:意外地 spill:溢,洒 Peach:桃 Snapple:思拿波饮料 helium:氦 neon:氖 laser:激光
再次的抱歉演示不太成功,但至少我们知道了氦-氖激光管里不小心洒了桃味饮料的后果。
Short answer is...don't.
明智的做法是...别那么做。
And now to tell you about the theoretical physics department is Dr. Sheldon Cooper.
theoretical physics:理论物理 theoretical:理论的 department:系
接下来给你们讲理论物理的是Sheldon Cooper博士。
Dr. Cooper?
Cooper博士?
-Sheldon:Forget it.
我不来。
-Leonard:Excuse me.
不好意思。
Sheldon, we both agreed to do this.
agree:同意
Sheldon我们可商量好了的。
-Sheldon:It's a waste of time.
waste:浪费
这是浪费时间。
I might as well explain the laws of thermodynamics to a bunch of labradoodles.
might as well:还不如 thermodynamics:热力学 bunch:群 labradoodle:拉布拉多贵宾狗
我还不如去给一群拉布拉多犬讲解热力学理论。
-Leonard:If you don't do this, I won't take you to the comic book store.
comic:连环漫画 book store:书店
要是不配合,不带你去漫画书店哟。
-Sheldon:Hello. Nice work with the laser, by the way.
laser:激光
大家好,我说激光实验做的不错嘛。
Looking out at your fresh young faces,
fresh:新鲜的
看着你们这些年轻的新鲜面孔,
I remember when I too was deciding my academic future as a lowly graduate student.
academic:学术的 graduate student:研究生
不禁想起了当年还是小研究生时,我也如此决定自己的研究方向,
Of course, I was 14.
当然那时我才14岁,
And I'd already achieved more than most of you could ever hope to, despite my 9:00 bedtime.
achieve:取得 despite:尽管 bedtime:睡觉时间
即使9点就得睡觉,那时也已小有成就,在座大多数至今望尘莫及。
Now, there may be one or two of you in this room who has what it takes to succeed in theoretical physics.
have what it takes:称职
你们中或许有一两位具备天赋,在理论物理上有所建树。
Although, it's more likely that you'll spend your scientific careers teaching fifth graders how to make paper machine volcanoes with baking soda lava.
scientific:科学的 career:事业 volcano:火山 baking soda:小苏打 lava:(火山喷发的)熔岩
当然啦,各位的科学前程将更有可能教授五年级学生怎样用烘烤苏打粉来糊个纸火山。
-Leonard:Oh, good God.
仁慈的主呀。
-Sheldon:In short-- any one who told you that you would someday be able to make any significant contribution to physics played a cruel trick on you, a cruel trick indeed.
someday:将来有一天 significant:重大的 contribution:贡献 physics:物理学 cruel:残酷的 trick:花招 indeed:确实
总之-- 要是有人告诉你们,你们有朝一日能对物理做出巨大贡献,真是忽悠你们,绝对绝对是忽悠惨了。
Any questions?
有问题吗?
Of course not.
自然没有了。
I weep for the future of science.
weep:哭泣
真为科学的未来感到悲哀呐。
Now if you'll excuse me, the latest issue of Batman is out.
latest:最新的 issue:发行,出版 Batman:蝙蝠侠
恕我不奉陪,最新的蝙蝠侠发行了。
Come, Leonard.
走吧 Leonard。
-Leonard:Laser demonstration's looking pretty good now, huh?
demonstration:示范,演示 pretty:非常
现在看来我的激光演示很棒吧?
-Raj:I love this time of the year.
每年的这个时节真叫我倾心。
The leaves are turning, there's a bracing chill in the air.
bracing:令人鼓舞的 chill:寒气
树叶转色,空中的寒意让人神清气爽。
-Howard:Plus there's a whole new crop of female grad students about to put on just enough winter weight to make them needy and vulnerable.
Plus:加上 crop:一群(人)female:女性 grad student:研究生 vulnerable:易受伤的
再加上新来的一群女研究生,准备在冬天稍微给自己"加点料",让自己愈发惹人呵护。
That's right, honey, have another calzone.
calzone:半圆形烤馅饼
这就对了嘛,宝贝再吃块馅饼。
Daddy can wait.
老爹可以再忍忍。
-Raj:Isn't there a university policy against dating graduate students?
university policy:校规
不是有校规嘛? 不能和研究生约会的。
-Leonard:No, if you can talk to them, you can ask them out.
不是,只要能跟她们搭上话你可以随便约。
-Raj:Damn, there's always a catch.
catch:圈套
要死啊! 总给我下套!
-Leslie:Hey, guys.
好呀,小伙子们。
-Leonard:Hey, Leslie.
好Leslie。
-Leslie:So, dumbass, I heard you made a grad student throw up last night.
dumbass:(俚语)笨蛋,傻子 throw up:呕吐
大傻冒,听说昨晚你把一研究生折腾吐了。
-Sheldon:The truth can indeed be a finger down the throat of those unprepared to hear it.
finger:手指 throat:嗓子 unprepared:无准备的
其实是没准备好听我讲的人自己用手指抠吐的。
But why should I cater to second-rate minds?
cater to:迎合 second-rate:二流的
我干吗要去给那些二流智商的人讲课?
-Leslie:Because first-rate minds call you "dumbass"?
first-rate:一流的
因为智商一流的人总喊你"傻冒儿"。
-Sheldon:Oh, yeah? Well...
切,是吗? 嗯...
you're a mean person.
mean:卑鄙的,不善良的
你这个毒舌妇。
-Ramona:Excuse me, Dr. Cooper, I'm Ramona Nowitzki.
打扰下Cooper博士,我是Ramona Nowitzki。
I was at your talk last night.
昨晚我听了你的讲课。
I think you're just brilliant.
brilliant:有才气的
我觉得你真是天才耶。
-Sheldon:That is the prevailing opinion.
prevailing:主要的,流行的
绝大多数人都这么觉得。
-Leslie:Oh, now I'm gonna throw up.
gonna= going to
这下我要去吐了。
-Howard:Howard Wolowitz, department of engineering, co-designer of the International Space Station's Liquid Waste Disposal System.
engineering:工程学 co-designer:联合设计师 International Space Station:国际航空站 Liquid Waste Disposal:废液处理 Disposal:处理
Howard Wolowitz 工程系的,参与设计了国际空间站液体废物处理系统。
-Ramona:Ew.
Ew: 【感叹词,表示不屑于】
没兴趣。
Dr. Cooper, I've read everything you've published.
publish:发表
Cooper博士,我拜读了你发表的全部文章。
I especially liked your paper on grand unification using string-network condensates and was wondering how you determined that three-dimensional string-nets provided a unified picture of fermions and gauge bosons?
especially:特别 paper:论文 grand unification:大统一 string:弦 network:网
condensate:浓缩,冷凝 wondering:惊奇的,疑惑的three-dimensional:3D,三维的 string-net:弦网 unified:统一的 fermions:费米子(属费米系统的粒子) gauge:标准规格 boson:【物】玻色子
特别钟意那篇从弦网浓缩角度阐述大统一理论,我很好奇你是怎么确定3D弦网提供了费密子和规范玻色子的统一描述?
-Sheldon:Amazing, an intelligent labradoodle.
Amazing:令人惊异的 intelligent:聪明的
很不错啊! 这拉布拉多真聪明!
-Howard:Woof.
Woof:狗吠声
汪汪。
-Sheldon:The fact is I'm quite close to a breakthrough in showing how neutrinos emerge from a string-net condensate.
breakthrough:突破点 neutrino:微中子 emerge from:脱离 condensate:冷凝物
其实呢,我离研究突破就差一点点就快搞清楚微中子如何在弦网冷凝物中脱出了。
-Ramona:Oh, my God, that would change the way we view the entire physical universe.
view:观看,认识 entire:整体的 universe:届,领域
天啊,那将会颠覆全球对整个物理界的认识。
-Sheldon:It's what I do.
我就是干这个的。
-Howard:You know, the Pishkin-Wolowitz Liquid Waste Disposal System is turning a few heads as well.
Pishkin-Wolowitz(两名设计者) 废液处理系统也带来一些冲击。
-Ramona:Again, ew.
又来了,恶心。
You know, I'd love to hear more about how you intend to add neutrinos.
intend to:打算 neutrino:微中子
我很想听你讲讲怎样加入微中子。
Could we get a cup of coffee sometime?
啥时候去喝杯咖啡吧?
-Sheldon:I don't drink coffee.
我从不喝咖啡。
-Howard:I do. I love me a cup of joe.
joe:(美国俚语)咖啡
我喝,我爱喝咖啡了。
-Ramona:Well, it doesn't have to be coffee.
不一定非要喝咖啡。
How about dinner?
一起晚餐如何?
-Sheldon:I do eat dinner.
晚饭我还是要吃的。
-Ramona:Great. I know a terrific little Italian place.
terrific:极好的,棒极的 Italian:意大利的
那就好,我知道有家意大利餐厅,超棒。
-Sheldon:I never eat in strange restaurants.
strange:陌生的 restaurant:饭馆
我从不去陌生的餐厅吃饭。
One runs the risk of non-standard cutlery.
run the risk of:冒险做某事 non-standard:不标准的 cutlery:刀叉
指不定就用那些不标准的餐具了。
-Ramona:Excuse me?
啊,什么?
-Leonard:Sheldon lives in fear of the three-tined fork.
in fear of:怕… three-tined:三个齿的 fork:叉子
Sheldon对三个分叉的叉子有恐惧心理。
-Sheldon:Three tines is not a fork. Three tines is a trident.
tine:齿,叉 trident:(海神的)三叉戟
三个分叉的根本不能叫叉子,那叫三叉戟。
Forks are for eating, tridents are for ruling the seven seas.
叉是用来吃东西的而三叉戟是用来统治七海的 (海神手中的三叉戟)。
-Ramona:What if I brought food to your place?
要不我把吃的带去你那儿?
-Sheldon:That would be acceptable.
acceptable:可接受的
这倒行。
On Mondays, I eat Thai food. Mee krob and chicken sate with extra peanut sauce from Siam Palace.
Thai:泰国 Mee krob:脆炸米粉 sate:沙嗲,一种烤肉 sauce:酱 Siam:暹罗(泰国的旧称) Palace:宫殿
周一我吃泰国餐,脆炸米粉,鸡肉沙嗲加上暹罗宫的花生酱。
-Ramona:You got it. I already have your address.
没问题,我有你家的地址。
-Sheldon:What a nice girl.
多好的姑娘啊。
-Howard:Sheldon, do you have any idea what just happened?
Sheldon 你到底有没有搞懂刚才怎么回事?
-Sheldon:Yes. Apparently I'm getting a free dinner.
当然,显然是有人要请我吃饭。
-Penny:Oh, yeah, no, this thing's majorly out of order.
majorly :严重地 out of order:故障
不好意思这东西基本上不能用啦。
See? Sorry.
看吧,真不好意思。
-Ramona:That's okay. Guess I'm taking the stairs.
stairs:楼梯
没关系,那我走楼梯咯。
-Penny:Where you going?
你去哪家呢?
-Ramona:4-A
4-A.
-Penny:Oh, are you here to see Leonard?
是来找Leonard的吧?
-Ramona:No, Dr. Cooper.
不是,我找Cooper博士。
-Penny:Dr. Sheldon Cooper?
你说的是Sheldon Cooper博士?
-Ramona:We're having dinner.
我们要共进晚餐。
-Penny:Sheldon Cooper?
你确信是Sheldon Cooper?
Tall, thin, looks a little like a giant praying mantis?
thin:瘦的 giant:巨大的 praying mantis:螳螂
那个瘦瘦高高,长得像巨人版螳螂煞星。
-Ramona:He is cute, isn't he?
他好帅的哟,是吧。
-Penny:Sheldon Cooper?
真的是Sheldon Cooper?
-Ramona:Hi, Leonard.
你好Leonard。
-Leonard:Hey, Ramona. Come on in.
你好Ramona 快进来。
-Ramona:Thanks. Where should I put this?
谢谢,这些东西放哪儿呢?
-Leonard:Uh, the kitchen's fine.
kitchen:厨房
放厨房就好了。
Hey, what are you doing?
你来有事吗?
-Penny:I need to see this.
这好戏我不能错过哇。
-Leonard:The viewing area's right over there.
viewing:观看
观众席在那边。
Sheldon, your girl... date... person... Ramona's here.
Sheldon 你女朋... 约会对...Ramona来了。
-Sheldon:Oh, hello.
你好啊。
-Ramona:Oh, sorry I'm late.
不好意思我迟到了。
I just got so caught up reading the draft of your latest paper.
draft:草案 paper:论文
看到你刚发表的论文草本看得太入迷了。
-Sheldon:Did you enjoy the humorous footnote where I illustrate mirror-symmetry by likening it to the Flash playing tennis with himself?
humorous:幽默的 footnote:脚注 illustrate:阐述 mirror-symmetry:镜象对称性
likening to:与…相比 Flash:闪光 tennis:网球
我对镜象对称性作了一个脚注说明,把它比喻成闪电和自己打网球,你体会到其中的幽默了吗?
-Ramona:So funny.
太好笑了。
But the idea that you might be able to incorporate gravity, I have to tell you, I found it physically exhilarating.
incorporate:包含 gravity:重力physically:身体上的 exhilarating:令人喜欢的,愉快的
不得不提的是你关于重力组合可能性的猜想,真的是让我着实地兴奋。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/shdbz/shdbz2/288245.html |