乔布斯传 第298期:罗曼史(8)(在线收听

   "I could not have been a good wife to 'Steve Jobs,' the icon," she later explained.

  “对于史蒂夫·乔布斯这样一个标志性人物,我不会是个好妻子,”她后来解释说,
  "I would have sucked at it on many levels. In our personal interactions, I couldn't abide his unkindness.
  “我可能经常会搞砸。在我们相处时,我受不了他的不仁慈。
  I didn't want to hurt him, yet I didn't want to stand by and watch him hurt other people either. It was painful and exhausting."
  我不想伤害他,但我也不想站在一边看着他伤害别人。那很痛苦,很累。”
  After they broke up, Redse helped found OpenMind, a mental health resource network in California.
  他们分手后,莱德斯帮助建立了OpoiMind网站,这是加利福尼亚一个精神健康资源网络。
  She happened to read in a psychiatric manual about Narcissistic Personality Disorder and decided that Jobs perfectly met the criteria.
  她碰巧读到了一本关于“自恋人格障碍”的精神病学手册,发现乔布斯完全符合其中的描述。
  "It fits so well and explained so much of what we had struggled with,
  “简直太符合了,充分解释了我们曾经面临的难题,
  that I realized expecting him to be nicer or less self-centered was like expecting a blind man to see," she said.
  这让我认识到,期待他更友善或别那么以自我为中心,就像期待一个盲人可以看见世界一样。”她说,
  "It also explained some of the choices he'd made about his daughter Lisa at that time.
  “这也解释了当时他对他女儿丽萨的一些做法。
  I think the issue is empathy— the capacity for empathy is lacking."
  我想问题出在怜悯心上——他缺失了怜悯的能力。”
  Redse later married, had two children, and then divorced.
  莱德斯后来结婚了,有了两个孩子,然后离婚了。
  Every now and then Jobs would openly pine for her, even after he was happily married.
  一直以来,乔布斯都会时不时地公开表达对她的思念,即使是在他幸福地结婚之后。
  And when he began his battle with cancer, she got in touch again to give support.
  当他开始跟癌症斗争之后,她又跟他恢复了联络,给他支持。
  She became very emotional whenever she recalled their relationship.
  每当她回忆起他们的相恋,都会很动情。
  "Though our values clashed and made it impossible for us to have the relationship we once hoped for," she told me,
  “虽然我们的价值观有冲突,让我们没办法像曾经希望的那样在一起,”她告诉我,
  "the care and love I felt for him decades ago has continued."
  “可我几十年前对他的关心和爱却一直持续下来。”
  Similarly, Jobs suddenly started to cry one afternoon as he sat in his living room reminiscing about her.
  同样,一个下午,乔布斯在他的起居室里回忆起她时,突然哭了起来。
  "She was one of the purest people I've ever known," he said, tears rolling down his cheeks.
  “她是我见过的最纯洁的人,”他说着,泪水从他的脸颊滚落,
  "There was something spiritual about her and spiritual about the connection we had."
  “她身上有种灵魂的力量,我们之间精神相通。”
  He said he always regretted that they could not make it work, and he knew that she had such regrets as well.
  他说他一直很遗憾他们没能走下去,他知道她也同样感到遗憾。
  But it was not meant to be. On that they both agreed.
  但这是命中注定的。他们两人对此亦有共识。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/qbsz/410989.html