乔布斯传 第361期:向库比蒂诺蹒跚前进(8)(在线收听) |
After informing Gassée that Apple was buying NeXT, Amelio had what turned out to be an even more uncomfortable task: telling Bill Gates. 在通知加西苹果要收购NeXT之后,阿梅里奥还有一个更难完成的任务:通知比尔·盖茨。 "He went into orbit," Amelio recalled. Gates found it ridiculous, but perhaps not surprising, that Jobs had pulled off this coup. “他勃然大怒。”阿梅里奥回忆说。乔布斯把这单生意做得这么漂亮,盖茨觉得很滑稽,但是可能并不惊讶。
"Do you really think Steve Jobs has anything there?" Gates asked Amelio. “你真的认为史蒂夫·乔布斯有什么真家伙吗?”盖茨问阿梅里奥,
"I know his technology, it's nothing but a warmed-over UNIX, and you'll never be able to make it work on your machines." “我了解他的技术,那只是把Unix又热了热而已,而且你永远无法把它用在你的机器上。”
Gates, like Jobs, had a way of working himself up, and he did so now: 盖茨跟乔布斯一样会越说情绪越激动,阿梅里奥回忆说,盖茨这样咆哮了两三分钟。
"Don't you understand that Steve doesn't know anything about technology? “难道你不明白乔布斯根本不懂技术吗?
He's just a super salesman. I can't believe you're making such a stupid decision... 他只是一个超级销售员。我真无法相信你会作出这么愚蠢的决定……
He doesn't know anything about engineering, and 99% of what he says and thinks is wrong. 他根本不懂设计,他说的想的里面99%都是错误的。
What the hell are you buying that garbage for?" 你买那堆垃圾到底是为了什么?”
Years later, when I raised it with him, Gates did not recall being that upset. 多年以后,当我向盖茨问起这件事,他已经不记得自己有那么沮丧了。
The purchase of NeXT, he argued, did not really give Apple a new operating system. 他认为收购NeXT没有真正给苹果带来一个新的操作系统。
"Amelio paid a lot for NeXT, and let's be frank, the NeXT OS was never really used." “阿梅里奥为NeXT支付了一大笔钱,咱们坦率说,NeXT OS系统从来就没有真正使用过。” |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/qbsz/420749.html |