美国语文第二册 第53期:物归原主(在线收听

   lend 租借

  Sarah 萨拉
  comfort 安慰
  ashamed 羞愧
  yours 你的
  willing 情愿
  thimble 顶针
  elsewhere 其他地方
  using 使用
  borrow 借
  offended 冒犯
  depended 依靠
  A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING 物归原主
  Mary: I wish you would lend me your thimble, Sarah. 玛丽:萨拉,我希望你能把你的顶针借给我。
  I can never find my own. 我找不到自己的了。
  Sarah: Why is it, Mary, you can never find it? 萨拉:为什么呀,玛丽,你找不到了?
  Mary: How can I tell? 玛丽:我哪里知道为什么。
  But if you will not lend me yours, I can borrow one elsewhere. 不过如果你不愿意把你的借给我,我可以去别的地方借。
  Sarah: I am willing to lend mine to you, Mary. 萨拉:我愿意把我的借给你,玛丽。
  But I would very much like to know why you come to me to borrow so often. 但我很想知道你为什么经常找我借东西。
  Mary: Because you never lose any of your things, 玛丽:因为你从没有弄丢过你的东西,
  and always know where to find them. 总是知道在哪能找到它们。
  Sarah: And why do I always know where to find my things? 萨拉:为什么我总知道在哪能找到我的东西呢?
  Mary: I do not know why, I am sure. 玛丽:是的,我也不知道为什么。
  If I did know, I might sometimes find my own. 如果我知道,我可能就常会找到自己的东西了。
  Sarah: I will tell you the secret. 萨拉:我告诉你这个密码吧。
  I have a place for everything, 我有个固定的地方放东西,
  and I put everything in its place when I have done using it. 当我用完后,我会把所有东西放回原来的地方。
  Mary: O Sarah! 玛丽:噢,萨拉!
  who wants to run and put away a thing as soon as she has used it, 谁会坚持在用完一件东西之后尽快收拾好,
  as if her life depended upon it? 仿佛生活取决于它似的?
  Sarah: Our life does not depend upon it, 萨拉:我们的生活不取决于它,
  but our comfort does, surely. 但是我们的舒适感显然取决于它。
  How much more time will it take to put a thing in its place, 我们把东西放回远处所花的时间,
  than to hunt for it or to borrow whenever you want to use it ? 比我们想用东西时去找或借的时间多多少?
  Mary:  Well, Sarah, 玛丽:好吧,萨拉,
  I will never borrow of you again, 我以后不会再向你借东西了,
  you may depend upon it. 你的舒适感去决于它。
  Sarah: You are not offended with me, I hope. 萨拉:我希望你没跟我生气。
  Mary: No, but I am ashamed. 玛丽:没有,但我觉得惭愧。
  Before night, I will have a place for everything, 睡觉之前,我会找个固定的地方放东西,
  and then I will keep everything in its place. 并且会把所有东西放回原处。
  You have taught me a lesson that I shall remember. 你给我上了一堂应当牢记的课。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d2c/430733.html