美国语文第五册 第166期:约翰-亚当斯的假设演讲(2)(在线收听) |
Do we intend to violate that most solemn obligation ever entered into by men, that plighting, before God, of our sacred honor to Washington, 难道我们准备亵渎人类始终遵从的庄严法则,面对上帝,亵渎我们面对华盛顿总统发出自己神圣荣誉的誓言? when, putting him forth to incur the dangers of war, as well as the political hazards of the times, 从而使他蒙受战争危险以及深陷当下的政治困局,
we promised to adhere to him in every extremity with our fortunes and our lives? 我们难道不是曾经许诺,不管任何危难当头,我们将倾尽所有财富甚至身家性命去追随拥戴他?
I know there is not a man here, who would not rather see a general conflagration sweep over the land, 我清楚,在场任何人哪怕宁愿看到战争急遽爆发,战火迅速席卷北美大地,
or an earthquake sink it, than one jot or tittle of that plighted faith fall to the ground. 或突如其来的地震使美国坍陷,亦不愿意抛弃曾经的誓约,哪怕微小的背离反叛。
For myself, having twelve months ago, in this place, 对我来说,一年前假设同样在这样的场合,
moved you that George Washington be appointed commander of the forces raised, or to be raised, for the defense of American liberty; 假设我力劝你们,为保护美国自由,乔治.华盛顿应该被任命为崛起的或有待崛起的美国抵抗力量的统帅;
may my right hand forget her cunning, and my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, 但愿我的右手受到诅咒,但愿我从此闭嘴不再说话!
if I hesitate or waver in the support I give him. 万一现在,我对是否支持他仍然踌躇不定,
The war, then, must go on. 因此,战争必须继续。
We must fight it through. 我们必须打下去。
And if the war must go on, why put off the Declaration of Independence? 如果战争必须打下去,我们为什么拖延宣布《独立宣言》?
That measure will strengthen us. It will give us character abroad. 昭示天下只会使我们强大,同时赋予我们面向外界的能力。
Nations will then treat with us, which they never can do while we acknowledge ourselves subjects in arms against our sovereign. 如果我们本身认可屈从侵犯我们主权的武力,怎能指望其他国家与我们正常交往?
Nay, I maintain that England herself will sooner treat for peace with us on the footing of independence, 不仅如此,我认为,在承认独立的前提下,与其说英国本身愿意与我们协商和平会谈,
than consent, by repealing her acts, to acknowledge that her whole conduct toward us has been a course of injustice and oppression. 不如说它更为赞同废除其法案,承认它对我们施加的所有行为始终缺乏公平正义且残忍暴虐。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/431879.html |