美国语文第五册 第169期:约翰-亚当斯的假设演讲(5)(在线收听

   But whatever may be our fate, be assured—be assured that this Declaration will stand.  无论我们命运如何,我敢担保,请放心,这份独立宣言将会生效,

  It may cost treasure, and it may cost blood; but it will stand, and it will richly compensate for both.  或许为此耗费巨大,或许会有众多流血牺牲;但它一定会生效,并势必极大地弥补以下两点:
  Through the thick gloom of the present I see the brightness of the future as the sun in heaven.  透过眼前的血腥晦暗,我看见未来光明,如同天堂的明媚阳光;
  We shall make this a glorious, an immortal day.  今天将留存于史,光荣不朽的一天。
  When we are in our graves, our children will honor it.  一旦我们走进坟墓,子孙后代将以此荣耀,
  They will celebrate it with thanksgiving, with festivity, with bonfires, and illuminations.  他们将以感恩心情、节日欢腾、以篝火与斑斓灯饰庆贺这一伟大神圣时刻的到来。
  On its annual return they will shed tears,—copious, gushing tears;  每逢周年纪念日,孩子们将泪如雨下;
  not of subjection and slavery, not of agony and distress, but of exultation, of gratitude, and of joy.  他们并非为专制或奴隶制伤悲,并非为极端痛苦或窘迫贫穷哭泣,而是难以抑制的狂喜,难以言谢的感恩,还有难以表述的满腔畅快淋漓。
  Sir, before God I believe the hour is come.  先生们,在上帝面前,我相信这一时刻即将到来。
  My judgment approves the measure, and my whole heart is in it.  我的判断为权衡时事提供依据,与此同时,我也全身心为此奋斗,
  All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope in this life, I am now ready here to stake upon it;  包括我的所有财富,我的所有存在,我生活中的所有希冀,我已做好准备为此赌注;
  and I leave off as I began, that, live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration.  一旦开始,万劫不归,或者说,生存抑或死亡?苟存抑或毁灭?皆为系此一念。我将为《独立宣言》存活于世,
  It is my living sentiment, and, by the blessing of God, it shall by my dying sentiment; independence now, and INDEPENDENCE FOREVER.  它构成我生命的感喟悲伤,面对上帝祝福,它亦将成为我死亡的唏嘘,现在独立,意味独立永远。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/431886.html