美国语文第五册 第191期:癫狂的火车司机(1)(在线收听) |
My train left Dantzic in the morning generally about eight o'clock; but once a week we had to wait for the arrival of the steamer from Stockholm. 火车在八点左右离开丹兹克,每周仅一个班次,通常,火车要等来自斯德哥尔摩的轮船上下船乘客上车后发车。 It was the morning of the steamer's arrival that I came down from the hotel, 今天早上,轮船抵达后,我从宾馆走出,
and found that my engineer had been so seriously injured that he could not perform his work. 发现当班的火车司机伤势严重,显然已不能正常上班,
I went immediately to the engine house to procure another engineer, 我立即赶去机车库,想找位司机顶班,
for I supposed there were three or four in reserve there, but I was disappointed. 我原以为机车库会有三四位机动司机,但是最后只有失望而归。
I heard the puffing of the steamer, and the passengers would be on hand in fifteen minutes. 听见汽轮发出巨大汽笛声,一刻钟后,旅客们将抵达车站。
I ran to the guards and asked them if they knew where there was an engineer, but they did not. 我向警卫处跑去,咨询他们是否他们知道哪里能找到火车司机,他们无从应答。
I then went to the firemen and asked them if anyone of them felt competent to run the engine to Bromberg. 接着,我又跑去锅炉班,询问他们是否了解有人能充任司机,将火车一路开到布朗伯格。
No one dared to attempt it. 大家面面相觑,无人敢试。
The distance was nearly one hundred miles. 从丹兹克到布朗伯格行程几乎一百英里,
What was to be done? 接下来该怎么办?
The steamer stopped at the wharf, and those who were going on by rail came flocking to the station. 轮船已经泊靠码头,那些准备赶火车的旅客朝火车站蜂拥而来。
They had eaten breakfast on board the boat, and were all ready for a fresh start. 旅客们在船上吃完早餐,正准备迎接新的一天。
The train was in readiness in the long station house, and the engine was steaming and puffing away impatiently in the distant firing house. 火车卧在长长的站房前,一切准备就绪,远处车头冒出白烟,不耐烦地噗噗吼着。
It was past nine o'clock. 九点已过。
"Come, why don't we start?" growled an old, fat Swede, who had been watching me narrowly for the last fifteen minutes. “嗨!为什么还不开车?”一位年迈肥胖的瑞典人向我吼叫,他一直仔细地打量我,差不多直直盯了一刻钟。
And upon this there was a general chorus of anxious inquiry, which soon settled to downright murmuring. 随后,周围一片质问叹气冲着我嚷起,很快变成了成群抱怨。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/431917.html |