美国语文第五册 第192期:癫狂的火车司机(2)(在线收听) |
At this juncture some one touched me on the elbow. 恰好那时,有人用肘碰了碰我, I turned, and saw a stranger by my side. 转身一看,身边站着位陌生人,
I thought that he was going to remonstrate with me for my backwardness. 我以为,他将指责为何拖延开车时间。
In fact, I began to have strong temptations to pull off my uniform, 其实当时,我真想一把扯掉身上的制服,
for every anxious eye was fixed upon the glaring badges which marked me as the chief officer of the train. 因为,每一双焦虑眼睛无不注视我制服上佩戴的列车长佩章。
However, this stranger was a middle-aged man, tall and stout, with a face of great energy and intelligence. 那位陌生的中年人,身材高大、壮实,看起来精力充沛、富有睿智。
His eye was black and brilliant,—so brilliant that I could not gaze steadily into it, though I tried; 望着他那双黝黑闪亮的眼睛,亮得似乎无法凝视片刻,直入深处。
and his lips, which were very thin, seemed more like polished marble than human flesh. 他的嘴唇很薄,看来更像抛光后的大理石。
His dress was black throughout, and not only set with exact nicety, but was scrupulously clean and neat. 他全身上下黑色装束,服装极为考究,洁净笔挺。
“You want an engineer, I understand,” he said in a low, cautious tone, “我知道,你需要一位火车司机。”他开口对我说,声音低沉,言语谨慎,
at the same time gazing quietly about him, as though he wanted no one to hear what he said. 同时冷静地环顾着周围,好像不希望有人听见我们之间的对话。
“I do,” I replied. “My train is all ready, and we have no engineer within twenty miles of this place.” “确实需要。”我说道,“火车就要开了,这地方方圆二十英里内却找不到一位司机。”
“Well, sir, I am going to Bromberg; I must go, and I will run the engine for you.” “哦,是这样。先生,我将去布朗伯格,一定要坐这班车走,我来给你开车。”
“Ha!” I uttered, “are you an engineer?” “太好了!”我开口问,“你是司机?”
I am, sir—one of the oldest in the country. 当然,先生,我可是这个国家资格最老的司机。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/431918.html |