美国语文第五册 第273期:英吉利海峡追逐战(3)(在线收听) |
for they could not conceal from themselves that each moment lessened their velocity through the water, 因为敌方炮火猛烈,疯狂肆虐的轮番进攻,倾泻不断的炮火,接二连三地炸断防卫舰甲板桅杆, as the shot of the enemy stripped the canvas from the yards, or dashed aside the lighter spars in their terrible progress. 造成多处桅杆毁损严重,船长和领航员清醒地意识到,乘风破浪中的防卫舰速度愈来愈慢。
“We find our equal here,” said Griffith to the stranger. “我们遇到对手了,”格里菲斯船长对新来的领航员说,
The ninety is heaving up again like a mountain; and if we continue to shorten sail at this rate, she will soon be down upon us! 九十根桅杆重新拉好了,风帆立起像座山;如果我们仍以目前速率持续减速,英国战舰会嘲笑我们的!
“You say true, sir,” returned the Pilot, musing, “the man shows judgment as well as spirit; but—” “说得不错,先生,”领航员回答,内心暗自思忖,“船长眼光敏锐,犹如神助,但是——”
He was interrupted by Merry, who rushed from the forward part of the vessel, 领航员思绪突然被打断,原来,水手梅里从船的前舷飞跑过来,
his whole face betokening the eagerness of his spirit and the importance of his intelligence. 满脸焦急万分,像有重大事情要报。
“The breakers!” he cried, when nigh enough to be heard amid the din; “船,就要搁浅了!”他高声喊叫着,即使在两舰对决的炮火纷飞中,梅里的话依然清晰真切地在空中炸响,
we are running dead on a ripple, and the sea is white not two hundred yards ahead. 我们身陷绝境,前方不到两百码已见大片滩涂。
The Pilot jumped on a gun, and, bending to catch a glimpse through the smoke, 领航员迅速爬上炮管,透过浓密的炮火硝烟,躬身往前仔细察看,不过迅速瞥看一眼,
he shouted, in those clear, piercing tones, that could be even heard among the roaring of the cannon, 他随即高喊起来,如此尖利刺耳的声音,在炮声轰鸣中愈发瘆人。
Port, port your helm! we are on the Devil’s Grip! Pass up the trumpet, sir; 快,左满舵!左满舵!我们马上就要玩完了。船长先生,请把喇叭递给我,伙计,
port your helm, fellow; give it to them, boys—give it to the proud English dogs! 劳驾,左满舵!快点!让英国佬撞上去,让那些英国猪去死吧!
Griffith unhesitatingly relinquished the symbol of his rank, fastening his own firm look on the calm but quick eye of the Pilot, 格里菲斯船长毫不犹豫地将他权力象征的喇叭递给领航员,一个目光坚毅,一个冷静急切,双方刹那间眼神在对视交流,
and gathering assurance from the high confidence he read in the countenance of the stranger. 格里菲斯觉得内心力量的聚集,从那个陌生的面容上,他清楚地看到力挽狂澜以拯救全船危难的坚定信心。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/432101.html |