向前一步:第75期 职业生涯中的长远梦想及短期目标(7)(在线收听

 I returned to D C. with a plan to attend law school, 当我返回华盛顿后,原计划去上法学院,

but Lant Pritchett, an economist in Larry's office who has devoted his life to the study of poverty, persuaded me that business school would be a better alternative. 但拉里办公室里的一位毕生致力研究贫困现象的经济学家兰特·普里切特劝我说,商学院会是我更好的选择。
I headed back to Cambridge. 于是我回到了坎布里奇,
I tried to stay socially conscious by joining the highly unpopular Nonprofit Club. 加入了相当不受欢迎的非营利性倶乐部,试图保持自己的社会意识。
I also spent my second year studying social marketing—how marketing can be used to solve social problems—with Professor Kash Rangan. 我还在入学后的第二年师从卡什·雷根,学习社会营销,通过营销来解决社会问题。
One of the cases we worked on concerned the shortage of organ donations, which results in eighteen deaths each day in the United States alone. 我们的工作案例之一涉及器官捐赠的短缺,这个问题导致仅在美国每天就有18例病患死亡。
I never forgot this case, and seventeen years later, 我从未忘记过这个案例。17年后,
Facebook worked with organ registries around the world to launch a tool to encourage donor registration. 脸谱网与世界各地的器官捐赠注册机构合作,呼吁人们作为器官捐赠者进行登记注册。
After business school, I took a job as a consultant at McKinsey & Company in Los Angeles. 从商学院毕业后,我去了位于洛杉矶的麦肯锡公司做顾问。
The work never entirely suited me, 这份工作很不适合我,
so I stayed for only a year and then moved back to D.C. to join Larry, who was now deputy secretary of the Treasury Department. 所以一年后我又回到财政部与拉里·萨默斯一起工作,萨默斯当时已是美国财政部副部长。
At first, I served as his special assistant. 我一开始是他的特别助理,
Then, when he was named secretary, I became his chief of staff. 当萨默斯被任命为美国财政部部长后,我就成了他的首席幕僚。
My job consisted of helping Larry manage the operations of the department and its $14 billion budget. 我的工作内容包括帮助萨默斯教授管理其办公室日常工作及140亿美元的预算,
It gave me the opportunity to participate in economic policy at both a national and an international level. 这让我有机会同时从美国国内和国际的双重层面参与经济政策领域的工作。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/xqyb/433370.html