英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第33期:第三章 现象(3)(在线收听

 It was absolutely silent for one long second before the screaming began.  死一般的寂静了一会儿之后,突然又响起了尖叫声。

In the abrupt bedlam, I could hear more than one person shouting my name.  在这突如其来的喧闹声中,我听见不止一人在叫我的名字,
But more clearly than all the yelling, I could hear Edward Cullen's low, frantic voice in my ear.  但有一个声音比所有的尖叫声都要清晰,我听见爱德华·卡伦在耳边着急到几乎疯狂的哑着嗓子问道。
"Bella? Are you all right?" "贝拉?你没事吧?"
"I'm fine."  "我没事。"
My voice sounded strange.  我的声音听起来怪怪的。
I tried to sit up, and realized he was holding me against the side of his body in an iron grasp.  我试图坐起来,这才意识到了他死死地将我搂在他身子的一侧。
"Be careful," he warned as I struggled.  "小心,"我挣扎着坐起来时,他提醒我,
"I think you hit your head pretty hard."  "我觉得你的头撞得很重。"
I became aware of a throbbing ache centered above my left ear.  我开始觉得左耳上方有个地方,疼得跟抽筋似的。
"Ow," I said, surprised.  哎哟,"我又惊又疼地叫道。
"That's what I thought."  "这正是我所想到的。"
His voice, amazingly, sounded like he was suppressing laughter.  他的声音,很令人惊异,听上去好像他在强忍住笑似的。
"How in the..." I trailed off, trying to clear my head, get my bearings.  "你怎么能在……"我说到一半,试图理一理思路,清醒一下头脑,
"How did you get over here so fast?"  "你过来得怎么这么快?"
"I was standing right next to you, Bella," he said, his tone serious again.  "我就站在你的旁边呀,贝拉,"他说,语气又严肃起来了。
I turned to sit up, and this time he let me, releasing his hold around my waist and sliding as far from me as he could in the limited space.  我准备坐起来,这一次他任由了我,松开了我的腰,而且挪开了,挪到了这有限的空间所能允许的最远的地方。
I looked at his concerned, innocent expression and was disoriented again by the force of his gold-colored eyes.  我瞅了一眼他那关切而又无辜的表情,又被他那双金色眼睛的力量弄得六神无主,不知所措了。
What was I asking him?  我刚才在问他什么来着?
And then they found us, a crowd of people with tears streaming down their faces, shouting at each other, shouting at us.  然后他们找到了我们,一群泪流满面的人,彼此大喊大叫,冲我们大喊大叫。
"Don't move," someone instructed.  "别动,"有人命令道。
"Get Tyler out of the van!" someone else shouted.  "把泰勒从车上弄出来!"另一个人喊道。
There was a flurry of activity around us.  我们周围一片慌乱。
I tried to get up, but Edward's cold hand pushed my shoulder down.  我试图站起来,可爱德华冰冷的手把我的肩膀按下了。
"Just stay put for now."  "请你暂时呆着别动。"
"But it's cold," I complained.  "可是很冷,"我抱怨说。
It surprised me when he chuckled under his breath.  他压着嗓子暗笑,令我感到十分吃惊。
There was an edge to the sound.  他的声音尖得跟刀子似的。
"You were over there," I suddenly remembered, and his chuckle stopped short.  "你刚才在那边,"我突然记起来了,他的笑声嘎然而止了,
"You were by your car."  "在你的车边上。"
His expression turned hard.  他的表情一下子沉了下来:
"No, I wasn't."  "不,我不在。"
"I saw you."  "我看见你在。"
All around us was chaos.  我们周围一片嘈杂。
I could hear the gruffer voices of adults arriving on the scene.  我听见现场有了大人们粗哑的嗓门儿。
But I obstinately held on to our argument;  可我还是固执地抓着我们的争论不放;
I was right, and he was going to admit it.  我是对的,他眼看快要承认了。
"Bella, I was standing with you, and I pulled you out of the way." "贝拉,我刚才是跟你站在一起,而且还把你拉开了。"
 He unleashed the full, devastating power of his eyes on me, as if trying to communicate something crucial.  他把那双眼睛的全部魅力都释放在我的身上了,好像试图跟我说某件至关重要的事情似的。
"No." I set my jaw. "不。"我撅起了嘴。
The gold in his eyes blazed. "Please, Bella."  他金色的眼睛闪闪发亮:"求你了,贝拉。"
"Why?" I demanded.  "为什么?"我问。
"Trust me," he pleaded, his soft voice overwhelming.  "相信我,"他央求道,声音温柔得无以名状。
I could hear the sirens now. 这时我听见了救护车的警报声:
 "Will you promise to explain everything to me later?"  "那你能保证以后把这一切给我解释清楚吗?"
"Fine," he snapped, abruptly exasperated.  "行,"他厉声说道,突然怒不可遏了。
"Fine," I repeated angrily.  "行,"我愤怒地重复道。
It took six EMTs and two teachers — Mr. Varner and Coach Clapp — to shift the van far enough away from us to bring the stretchers in.  六个紧急医疗救护员和两名老师——瓦纳先生和克拉普教练——才把客货两用车从我们身边移开,移到了勉强能放进担架床那么远的地方。
Edward vehemently refused his, and I tried to do the same, but the traitor told them I'd hit my head and probably had a concussion.  爱德华强烈拒绝坐担架床,我也试图拒绝,可那个叛徒出卖了我,跟他们说我撞了头,很可能撞成了脑震荡。
I almost died of humiliation when they put on the neck brace.  他们给我上颈托儿时,我差点儿羞死了。
It looked like the entire school was there, watching soberly as they loaded me in the back of the ambulance.  好像全校的人都来了,肃穆地看着他们把我推上了救护车。
Edward got to ride in the front.  爱德华坐到了前面。
It was maddening.  真是叫人受不了。
To make matters worse, Chief Swan arrived before they could get me safely away.  更为糟糕的是,斯旺警长在他们还没有把我安全地弄走之前赶到了。
"Bella!" he yelled in panic when he recognized me on the stretcher.  "贝拉!"他认出了担架床上的我,惊慌失措地尖叫道。
"I'm completely fine, Char — Dad," I sighed.  "我很好,查——爸,"我叹息道,
"There's nothing wrong with me."  "我一点事儿都没有。"
He turned to the closest EMT for a second opinion.  他明显没有相信我的感觉,转向离他最近的一个紧急医疗救护员问了第二个人对我受伤程度的判断。
I tuned him out to consider the jumble of inexplicable images churning chaotically in my head.  我把他放到了一边,去想那一堆杂乱无章地浮现在我脑子里的无法解释的画面。
When they'd lifted me away from the car, I had seen the deep dent in the tan car's bumper —  他们把我从车边上抬走的时候,我看见那辆棕红色小汽车的保险杠上有一道深深的印痕——
a very distinct dent that fit the contours of Edward's shoulders…  一道非常独特的印痕,与爱德华肩膀的轮廓正好吻合……
as if he had braced himself against the car with enough force to damage the metal frame…  好像是他用了很大的力,撑靠在车上把那个金属玩意儿给弄凹了。
And then there was his family, looking on from the distance, 接下来就是他的家人,远远地站在一边,
with expressions that ranged from disapproval to fury but held no hint of concern for their brother's safety.  表情各异,从反对到盛怒,但就是丝毫不见对他们这位兄弟安全的担心。
I tried to think of a logical solution that could explain what I had just seen —  我试图想出一个合乎逻辑的答案,来解释我刚刚见到的这一切——
a solution that excluded the assumption that I was insane.  来排除认为我神经不正常的臆断。
Naturally, the ambulance got a police escort to the county hospital.  自然,救护车由一名警察护送到了县医院。
I felt ridiculous the whole time they were unloading me.  他们把我从救护车上抬下来的整个这段时间,我都感到很可笑。
What made it worse was that Edward simply glided through the hospital doors under his own power.  更可气的是,爱德华却可以轻而易举地溜出病房,自由活动。
I ground my teeth together.  我咬紧了牙齿。
They put me in the emergency room, a long room with a line of beds separated by pastel-patterned curtains.  他们把我放在急救室。急救室是一间狭长的屋子,里面摆放着一溜病床,床与床之间由一些蜡笔画图案的帘子隔开。
A nurse put a pressure cuff on my arm and a thermometer under my tongue.  一名护士在我胳膊上绑了一个血压袖带,在我舌头下面放了一个体温表。
Since no one bothered pulling the curtain around to give me some privacy,  既然谁都懒得拉上帘子给我一点儿自己的空间,
I decided I wasn't obligated to wear the stupid-looking neck brace anymore.  我想我也就没有义务戴那个傻乎乎的颈托儿了。
When the nurse walked away, I quickly unfastened the Velcro and threw it under the bed. 护士走开后,我三下五除二,扯开了维可牢搭扣 ,把它扔到了床底下。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgzcms/437518.html