月亮和六便士 第十五章(2)(在线收听

   But if he wanted to be an artist, why didn't he say so? asked Mrs. Strickland at last.  “但是如果他想当画家,为什么不告诉我呢?”思特里克兰德太太最后开口说。

  "I should have thought I was the last person to be unsympathetic to—to aspirations of that kind."  “我想,对于他这种——这种志趣我是绝不会不同情支持的。”
  Mrs. MacAndrew tightened her lips.  麦克安德鲁太太的嘴唇咬紧了。
  I imagine that she had never looked with approval on her sister's leaning towards persons who cultivated the arts.  我猜想,她妹妹喜好结交文人艺术家的脾气,她从来就不赞成。
  She spoke of "culchaw" derisively. 她一说到“文艺”这个词,就露出满脸鄙夷不屑的神情。
  Mrs. Strickland continued: 思特里克兰德太太又接着说:
  After all, if he had any talent I should be the first to encourage it.  I wouldn't have minded sacrifices. I'd much rather be married to a painter than to a stockbroker.  “不管怎么说,要是他有才能,我会第一个出头鼓励他。什么牺牲我都不会计较的。同证券经纪人比起来,我还更愿意嫁给一个画家呢。
  If it weren't for the children, I wouldn't mind anything.  如果不是为了孩子,我什么也不在乎。
  I could be just as happy in a shabby studio in Chelsea as in this flat. 住在柴尔西一间破旧的画室里我会像住在这所房子里同样快乐。”
  My dear, I have no patience with you, cried Mrs. MacAndrew. "You don't mean to say you believe a word of this nonsense?" “亲爱的,我可真要生你的气了,”麦克安德鲁太太叫喊起来,“看你的意思,这些鬼话你真相信了?”
  But I think it's true, I put in mildly. “可我认为这是真实情况,”我婉转地表示自己的意见说。
  She looked at me with good-humoured contempt. 她又好气又好笑地看了我一眼。
  A man doesn't throw up his business and leave his wife and children at the age of forty to become a painter unless there's a woman in it.  “一个四十岁的人是不会为了要当画家而丢弃了工作、扔掉了妻子儿女的,除非这里面搀和着一个女人。
  I suppose he met one of your—artistic friends, and she's turned his head. 我猜想他一定是遇见了你的哪个——艺术界的朋友,被她迷上了。”
  A spot of colour rose suddenly to Mrs. Strickland's pale cheeks. 思特里克兰德太太苍白的面颊上突然泛上一层红晕。
  What is she like? “她是怎样一个人?”
  I hesitated a little. I knew that I had a bombshell. 我没有立刻回答。我知道我给他们准备了一颗炸弹。
  There isn't a woman. “没有女人。”
  Colonel MacAndrew and his wife uttered expressions of incredulity, and Mrs. Strickland sprang to her feet. 麦克安德鲁上校和他的妻子部表示不能相信地喊叫起来;思特里克兰德太太甚至从椅子上跳起来。
  Do you mean to say you never saw her? “你是说你一次也没有看见她?”
  There's no one to see. He's quite alone. “根本就没有人,叫我去看谁?他只有一个人。”
  That's preposterous, cried Mrs. MacAndrew. “这是世界上没有的事,”麦克安德鲁太太喊道。
  I knew I ought to have gone over myself, said the Colonel. "You can bet your boots I'd have routed her out fast enough." “我早就知道得我自己跑一趟,”上校说,“我敢和你们打赌,我一定能马上就把那个女人搜寻出来。”
  I wish you had gone over, I replied, somewhat tartly. "You'd have seen that every one of your suppositions was wrong.  “我也希望你自己去,”我不很客气地回答,“你就会看到你的那些猜想没有一点是对的。
  He's not at a smart hotel. He's living in one tiny room in the most squalid way.  他并没有住在时髦的旅馆里。他住的是一间极其寒酸的小房间。
  If he's left his home, it's not to live a gay life. He's got hardly any money." 他离开家绝不是去过花天酒地的生活。他简直没有什么钱。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439502.html