月亮和六便士 第二十一章(1)(在线收听) |
Chapter 21 第12章 I let him take me to a restaurant of his choice, but on the way I bought a paper. 我让他带我到一家他选定的餐馆,但是在路上走的时候我买了一份报纸。
When we had ordered our dinner, I propped it against a bottle of St. Galmier and began to read. 叫了菜以后,我就把报纸支在一瓶圣·卡尔密酒上,开始读报。
We ate in silence. 我们一言不发地吃着饭。
I felt him looking at me now and again, but I took no notice. 我发现他不时地看我一眼,但是我根本不理睬他。
I meant to force him to conversation. 我准备逼着他自己讲话。
Is there anything in the paper? he said, as we approached the end of our silent meal. “报纸上有什么消息?”在我们这顿沉默无语的晚餐将近尾声时,他开口说。
I fancied there was in his tone a slight note of exasperation. 也许这只是我的幻觉吧,从他的声音里我好像听出来他已经有些沉不住气了。
I always like to read the feuilleton on the drama, “我喜欢读评论戏剧的杂文,”
I said. I folded the paper and put it down beside me. 我说。我把报纸叠起来,放在一边。
I've enjoyed my dinner, he remarked. “这顿饭吃得很不错,”他说。
I think we might have our coffee here, don't you? “我看咱们就在这里喝咖啡好不好?”
Yes. “好吧。”
We lit our cigars. I smoked in silence. 我们点起了雪茄。我一言不发地抽着烟。
I noticed that now and then his eyes rested on me with a faint smile of amusement. 我发现他的目光时不时地停在我身上,隐约闪现着笑意。
I waited patiently. 我耐心地等待着。
What have you been up to since I saw you last? he asked at length. “从上次见面以后你都做什么了?”最后他开口说。
I had not very much to say. It was a record of hard work and of little adventure; 我没有太多的事好说。我的生活只不过是每日辛勤工作,没有什么奇闻艳遇。
of experiments in this direction and in that; of the gradual acquisition of the knowledge of books and of men. 我在不同方向进行了摸索试验;我逐渐积累了不少书本知识和人情世故。
I took care to ask Strickland nothing about his own doings. 在谈话中,对他这几年的生活我有意闭口不问,
I showed not the least interest in him, and at last I was rewarded. He began to talk of himself. 装作丝毫也不感兴趣的样子。最后,我的这个策略生效了。他主动谈起他的生活来。
But with his poor gift of expression he gave but indications of what he had gone through, and I had to fill up the gaps with my own imagination. 但是由于他太无口才,对他自己这一段时间的经历讲得支离破碎,许多空白都需要我用自己的想像去填补。
It was tantalising to get no more than hints into a character that interested me so much. 对于这样一个我深感兴趣的人只能了解个大概,这真是一件吊人胃口的事,
It was like making one's way through a mutilated manuscript. 简直像读一部残缺不全的稿本。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439547.html |