月亮和六便士 第二十六章(1)(在线收听

 Chapter 26 第二十六章

Next day we moved Strickland. 第二天我们就去给思特里克兰德搬家。
It needed a good deal of firmness and still more patience to induce him to come, 劝说他搬到施特略夫家里来需要绝大的毅力和更多的耐心,
but he was really too ill to offer any effective resistance to Stroeve's entreaties and to my determination. 幸而思特里克兰德病得实在太重,对于施特略夫的央求和我的决心都做不出有效的抵抗了。
We dressed him, while he feebly cursed us, got him downstairs, into a cab, and eventually to Stroeve's studio. 在他的软弱无力的咒骂声中,我们给他穿好衣服,扶着他走下楼梯,安置在一辆马车里,最后终于把他弄到施特略夫的画室里。
He was so exhausted by the time we arrived that he allowed us to put him to bed without a word. 当我们到达以后,他已经一点气力也没有了,只好一言不发地由我们把他放在一张床上。
He was ill for six weeks. 他的病延续了六个星期。
At one time it looked as though he could not live more than a few hours, 有一段日子看上去他连几个钟头也活不过去了,
and I am convinced that it was only through the Dutchman's doggedness that he pulled through. 我毫不怀疑,他之所以能够活下来完全要归功这位荷兰画家任劳任怨的护理。
I have never known a more difficult patient. 我从来也没有见到过比他更难伺候的病人。
It was not that he was exacting and querulous; on the contrary, he never complained, he asked for nothing, he was perfectly silent; 倒不是说他挑剔、抱怨;恰恰相反,他从来也不诉苦,从来不提出什么要求,他躺在那里一语不发。
but he seemed to resent the care that was taken of him; 但是他似乎非常厌恨你对他的照顾;
he received all inquiries about his feelings or his needs with a jibe, a sneer, or an oath. 谁要是问一问他觉得怎么样、有什么需要,他轻则挖苦你一句,重则破口大骂。
I found him detestable, and as soon as he was out of danger I had no hesitation in telling him so. Go to hell, he answered briefly. 我发现这个人实在让人厌恶,他刚一脱离危险,我就把我的想法告诉了他。“见鬼去吧,你,”他一点不客气地回敬了我一句。
Dirk Stroeve, giving up his work entirely, nursed Strickland with tenderness and sympathy. 戴尔克·施特略夫把自己的工作全部撂下,整天服侍病人,又体贴,又关切。
He was dexterous to make him comfortable, 他的手脚非常利索,把病人弄得舒舒服服。
and he exercised a cunning of which I should never have thought him capable to induce him to take the medicines prescribed by the doctor. 大夫开了药,他总是连哄带骗地劝病人按时服用,我从来没想到他的手段这么巧妙。
Nothing was too much trouble for him. 无论做什么事他都不嫌麻烦。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439740.html