月亮和六便士 第二十八章(2)(在线收听

 I did not know what to say. 我不知道该说些什么。

My first thought was that she had come to the end of her forbearance with his infatuation for Strickland, and, 我最初的想法是,她丈夫这种晕头晕脑地对思特里克兰德倾心相待,叫她再也忍受不了了,
goaded by the latter's cynical behaviour, had insisted that he should be turned out. 再加上思特里克兰德总是冷嘲热讽,所以她坚决要把他赶走。
I knew her capable of temper, for all the calmness of her manner; 我知道,虽然勃朗什表面端庄沉静,但是脾气如果上来,却执拗得可以。
and if Stroeve still refused, she might easily have flung out of the studio with vows never to return. 假如施特略夫仍然拒绝她的请求,一怒之下,她很可能离开家庭,发誓再不回来。
But the little man was so distressed that I could not smile. 但是不管事实真相如何,看到这个小胖子的痛苦不堪的样子,我实在不忍讥笑他了。
My dear fellow, don't be unhappy. She'll come back. “亲爱的朋友,别难过了。她会回来的。
You mustn't take very seriously what women say when they're in a passion. 女人们一时说的气话,你千万别太认真。”
You don't understand. She's in love with Strickland. “你不了解。她爱上思特里克兰德了。”
What! I was startled at this, but the idea had no sooner taken possession of me than I saw it was absurd. “什么!”我吓了一跳;但是我还没有来得及仔细琢磨,就已经觉得这件事太荒谬了。
"How can you be so silly? You don't mean to say you're jealous of Strickland?" I almost laughed. “你怎么能这么傻?难道你是说你在吃思特里克兰德的醋?”我差点笑了出来。
"You know very well that she can't bear the sight of him." “你也知道,思特里克兰德这个人简直叫她无法忍受。”
You don't understand, he moaned. “你不了解,”他呻吟道。
You're an hysterical ass, I said a little impatiently. "Let me give you a whisky-and-soda, and you'll feel better." “你是头歇斯底里的蠢驴,”我有些不耐烦地说。“让我给你喝一杯威士忌苏打你就会好一些了。”
I supposed that for some reason or other—and Heaven knows what ingenuity men exercise to torment themselves, 我猜想,不知为了什么原因——天知道人们如何想尽办法来折磨自己,
Dirk had got it into his head that his wife cared for Strickland, 戴尔克毫无道理地怀疑起自己的妻子爱上了思特里克兰德,
and with his genius for blundering he might quite well have offended her so that, to anger him, perhaps,  因为他最不会处理事情,多半把她惹恼了。而他的妻子为了气他,
she had taken pains to foster his suspicion. 也就故意想尽方法增加他的疑虑。
Look here, I said, "let's go back to your studio. “听我说,”我对他说,“咱们一起回你的画室去吧。
If you've made a fool of yourself you must eat humble pie. 如果你自己把事办糟了,现在只好去负荆请罪。
Your wife doesn't strike me as the sort of woman to bear malice." 我认为你的妻子不是那种爱记仇的女人。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439749.html