英语听书《海底两万里》第479期 第30章 从合恩角到亚马逊河(2)(在线收听

 "No, Ned," I replied, "it isn't worth more. “不,尼德,”我回答,“我的生命不是更有价值。

Nobody could be better than a kind and generous man like yourself!" 谁也不能比善良仁爱的人们更优秀,而您正是这种人!”
"All right, all right!" the Canadian repeated in embarrassment. “算了!算了!”加拿大人很有些为难地一再说。
"And you, my gallant Conseil, you suffered a great deal." “你呢,我的忠实的康塞尔,你一定也受了大苦了。”
"Not too much, to be candid with master. I was lacking a few throatfuls of air, but I would have gotten by. “老实对先生说,并不怎么难过。我就是短了儿口空气,但我想我可以过得去。
Besides, when I saw master fainting, it left me without the slightest desire to breathe. 并且,我眼见先生晕过去,我就一点不想呼吸了,
It took my breath away, in a manner of..." 像人说的,这是断了我的呼……”
Confounded by this lapse into banality, Conseil left his sentence hanging. 废塞尔觉得他太罗嗦了,心中不好意思,没有说完就停住了。
"My friends," I replied, very moved, "we're bound to each other forever, and I'm deeply indebted to you--" “我的朋友们,”我情绪很激动地回答,“我们彼此是永远团结在一起,同时你们有权利处置我……”
"Which I'll take advantage of," the Canadian shot back. “我要使用这权利。”加拿大人立即回答。
"Eh?" Conseil put in. “怎么?”康塞尔说。
"Yes," Ned Land went on. “是的,”尼德·兰又说,
"You can repay your debt by coming with me when I leave this infernal Nautilus." “使用这权利来拉您跟我一同走,当我要离开这地狱的诺第留斯号的时候。”
"By the way," Conseil said, "are we going in a favorable direction?" “谈正经事吧,”康塞尔说,“我们现在是向着好的方向走吗?”
"Yes," I replied, "because we're going in the direction of the sun, and here the sun is due north." “是的,”我回答说,“因为我们是向着有太阳的方向走,现在有太阳的就是北方。”
"Sure," Ned Land went on, "but it remains to be seen whether we'll make for the Atlantic or the Pacific, “不错,”尼德·兰又说,“不过还要知道,我们是向太平洋或向大西洋?
in other words, whether we'll end up in well-traveled or deserted seas." 是向往来人多的或荒凉无人的海航行呢?”
I had no reply to this, 这点我不能答复,
and I feared that Captain Nemo wouldn't take us homeward but rather into that huge ocean washing the shores of both Asia and America. 我怕尼摩船长要把我们带到同时浸润亚洲和美洲海岸的广阔的太平洋中去。
In this way he would complete his underwater tour of the world,  他这样就完成了他的海底坏球旅行了,
going back to those seas where the Nautilus enjoyed the greatest freedom.  他又回到诺第留斯号可以获得最完全的自由的海中了。
But if we returned to the Pacific, far from every populated shore, what would happen to Ned Land's plans? 但是,如果我们回到太平洋中来,离开所有人居住的地方,那尼德·兰的计划将怎样呢?
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440263.html