英语听书《海底两万里》第498期 第31章 章鱼(6)(在线收听

 It was about eleven o'clock when Ned Land drew my attention to a fearsome commotion out in this huge seaweed. 大约11点时,尼德·兰提醒我注意大海藻丛中有着一阵阵可怕的骚动。

Well, I said, "these are real devilfish caverns, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those monsters hereabouts." “没什么!”我说,“那是真正的章鱼洞,在这里看到几只这样的怪物, 我并不引以为奇。”
What! Conseil put in. "Squid, ordinary squid from the class Cephalopoda?" “什么!”康塞尔说,“是枪乌贼,属于头足纲的普通枪乌贼吗?”
"No," I said, "devilfish of large dimensions.  “不,”我说,“是身体巨大的章鱼。
But friend Land is no doubt mistaken, because I don't see a thing." 但刚才我什么也没看到,尼德朋友可能弄错了。” 
"That's regrettable," Conseil answered. “我感到遗憾,”康塞尔接着说,
"I'd like to come face to face with one of those devilfish I've heard so much about, which can drag ships down into the depths.  “我想面对面地欣赏这类章鱼,我听人家说过那么多次这类鱼,听说它们能把一条船拖到海底深渊里。
Those beasts go by the name of krake--" 这种动物真被吹神了”
"Fake is more like it," the Canadian replied sarcastically. “吹得够神吧,”加拿大人嘲弄地回答说。
Krakens! Conseil shot back, finishing his word without wincing at his companion's witticism. “吹神了,”康塞尔不理会他的同伴的嘲笑,赶快纠正读音把话说完。
"Nobody will ever make me believe," Ned Land said, "that such animals exist." “但我从不相信世上真有这样的动物,”尼德·兰说。
Why not? Conseil replied. "We sincerely believed in master's narwhale." “为什么不信?”康塞尔回答说,“我们就很相信先生说的独角鲸。” 
"We were wrong, Conseil.""No doubt, but there are others with no doubts who believe to this day!" Probably, Conseil.  “我们错了,康塞尔。” “可能!但可能还有些人会相信。” “有可能,康塞尔。
But as for me, I'm bound and determined not to accept the existence of any such monster till I've dissected it with my own two hands. 但对于我来说,我只有亲手抓到这些怪物,我才会,相信它的存在。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440300.html