英语听书《海底两万里》第537期 第33章 北纬47.24度, 西经17.28度(12)(在线收听) |
The absolute calm of the waves facilitated this operation. 海上风平浪静,十分有利于他进行观察。 The Nautilus lay motionless, neither rolling nor pitching. “鹦鹉螺号”一动不动地,不摇晃,也不颠簸。
I was on the platform just then. 这时,我也在平台上。
After determining our position, the captain pronounced only these words: "It's right here!" 当观测完成时,尼摩船长只吐出这几个字:“就是这里!”
He went down the hatch. 他走下嵌板。
Had he seen that vessel change course and seemingly head toward us? 难道他看到那艘海轮改变了方向,好像正朝我们开过来吗?
I'm unable to say. 这我说不准。
I returned to the lounge. 我回到客厅。
The hatch closed, and I heard water hissing in the ballast tanks. 嵌板关上了,我听到储水器里海水发出的咝咝声。
The Nautilus began to sink on a vertical line, “鹦鹉螺号”船只开始垂直潜进水中,
because its propeller was in check and no longer furnished any forward motion. 这时成了绊脚绳的推进器并不能为它提供任何动力。
Some minutes later it stopped at a depth of 833 meters and came to rest on the seafloor. 几分钟后,“鹦鹉螺号”在830米深的地方停在地面上。
The ceiling lights in the lounge then went out, the panels opened, 这时,客厅天花板上的灯都熄灭了,嵌板打开着。
and through the windows I saw, for a half-mile radius, the sea brightly lit by the beacon's rays. 透过玻璃窗,我看见了方圆半海里内的海水都被探照灯的灯光照得通明。
I looked to port and saw nothing but the immenseness of these tranquil waters. 我看了左舷一眼,除了宁静的海水,什么也没有。
To starboard, a prominent bulge on the sea bottom caught my attention. 右舷呢,海底上有一大堆东西引起了我的注意。
You would have thought it was some ruin enshrouded in a crust of whitened seashells, as if under a mantle of snow. 这似乎是一堆裹在灰白色介壳糊下的废墟,像裹在雪白外衣下一样。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440391.html |