英语听书《海底两万里》第542期 第34章 大屠杀(3)(在线收听

 But it was inconceivable to me that it had discovered the Nautilus at such a distance, 然而,我不相信它在这种距离就能认出“鹦鹉螺号”,

still less that it knew what this underwater machine really was. 更不相信它知道这艘潜水艇是怎么回事。
Soon the Canadian announced that the craft was a big battleship, a double-decker ironclad complete with ram. 过了一会儿,加拿大人告诉我说那艘船是一艘大战舰,在冲角有双层装甲板。
Dark, dense smoke burst from its two funnels. 一股浓浓的黑烟从它的烟囱里冒出来。
Its furled sails merged with the lines of its yardarms. 绷得紧紧的船帆紧挨着桅杆。
The gaff of its fore-and-aft sail flew no flag. 斜桁上没有挂任何旗帜。
Its distance still kept us from distinguishing the colors of its pennant, which was fluttering like a thin ribbon. 因为距离太远,还看不清那像一条薄带子一样飘扬的旗子的颜色。
It was coming on fast.  那艘船迅速地前进。
If Captain Nemo let it approach, a chance for salvation might be available to us. 如果尼摩船长让它靠近的话,那我们就可能获得一次获救的机会。
Sir, Ned Land told me, "if that boat gets within a mile of us, I'm jumping overboard, and I suggest you follow suit." “先生,”尼德·兰对我说,“那船离我们1海里时,我就跳进海里,我建议您也像我一样做。”
I didn't reply to the Canadian's proposition but kept watching the ship, which was looming larger on the horizon. 我没有回答加拿大人的建议,而是继续望着那艘在视野中变得越来越大的船。
Whether it was English, French, American, or Russian,  不论它是英国、法国、美国还是俄罗斯的船,
it would surely welcome us aboard if we could just get to it. 如果我们能到它的甲板上,它肯定会欢迎我们。
Master may recall, Conseil then said, "that we have some experience with swimming. “请先生好好想一想,”康塞尔于是说,“我们有过游泳的经验。
He can rely on me to tow him to that vessel, if he's agreeable to going with our friend Ned." 如果先生觉得跟尼德朋友一起走合适的话,您可以搭在我的背上,我把您托到那只船上。”
Before I could reply, white smoke streamed from the battleship's bow.  我刚想回答,那战舰的前部就射出一道白烟。
Then, a few seconds later, the waters splashed astern of the Nautilus, disturbed by the fall of a heavy object. 接着,几分钟后,海水被一块沉重的物体击起阵阵水花,溅到了“鹦鹉螺号”的后部。
Soon after, an explosion struck my ears. 紧接着,一声爆炸声在我的耳边响起。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440396.html