月亮和六便士 第五十七章(5)(在线收听

 "I think Strickland knew it was a masterpiece. “我想思特里克兰德也知道这是一幅杰作。

He had achieved what he wanted. His life was complete. 他已经得到了自己所追求的东西。他可以说死而无憾了。
He had made a world and saw that it was good. 他创造了一个世界,也看到自己的创造多么美好。
Then, in pride and contempt, he destroyed it." 以后,在骄傲和轻蔑的心情中,他又把它毁掉了。”
"But I must show you my picture," said Dr. Coutras, moving on. “我还是得让你看看我的画,”库特拉斯医生说,继续往前走。
"What happened to Ata and the child?" “爱塔同他们的孩子后来怎样了?”
"They went to the Marquesas. She had relations there. “他们搬到马尔奎撒群岛去了。她那里有亲属。
I have heard that the boy works on one of Cameron's schooners. 我听说他们的孩子在一艘喀麦隆的双桅帆船上当水手。
They say he is very like his father in appearance." 人们都说他长得很象死去的父亲。”
At the door that led from the verandah to the doctor's consulting-room, he paused and smiled. 走到从阳台通向诊疗室的门口,库特拉斯医生站住,对我笑了笑。
"It is a fruit-piece. “我的画是一幅水果静物画。
You would think it not a very suitable picture for a doctor's consulting-room, but my wife will not have it in the drawing-room. 你也许觉得诊疗室里挂着这样一幅画不很适宜,但是我的妻子却绝对不让它挂在客厅里。
She says it is frankly obscene." 她说这张画给人一种猥亵感。”
"A fruit-piece!" I exclaimed in surprise. “水果静物会叫人感到猥亵?”我吃惊地喊起来。
We entered the room, and my eyes fell at once on the picture. 我们走进屋子,我的眼睛立刻落到这幅画上。
I looked at it for a long time. 很久很久我一直看着它。
It was a pile of mangoes, bananas, oranges, and I know not what and at first sight it was an innocent picture enough. 画的是一堆水果:芒果、香蕉、桔子,还有一些我叫不出名字的东西。第一眼望去,这幅画一点儿也没有什么怪异的地方。
It would have been passed in an exhibition of the Post-Impressionists by a careless person as an excellent but not very remarkable example of the school; 如果摆在后期印象派的画展上,一个不经心的人会认为这是张满不错的、但也并非什么杰出的画幅,从风格上讲,同这一学派也没有什么不同。
but perhaps afterwards it would come back to his recollection, and he would wonder why. 但是看过以后,说不定这幅画就总要回到他的记忆里,甚至连他自己也不知道为什么。
I do not think then he could ever entirely forget it. 据我估计,从此以后他就永远也不能把它忘掉了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/441737.html