向前一步:第103期 如何找到你的人生导师(17)(在线收听

 As an associate at McKinsey & Company, my first assignment was on a team that consisted of a male senior engagement manager (SEM)  在麦肯锡公司工作时,我所在的团队里有一位男性高级项目经理,

and two other male associates, Abe Wu and Derek Holley. 还有两位男同事亚伯·吴和德里克·霍利。
When the SEM wanted to talk to Abe or Derek, he would walk over to their desks. 当那位经理想和亚伯或德里克说话时,他会径直走到他们的桌前;
When he wanted to talk to me, he would sit at his desk and shout, "Sandberg, get over here!" with the tone one might use to call a child or, even worse, a dog. 而当他想找我谈话时,便会坐在自己桌前大喊一声:“桑德伯格,到我这里来!”那语气就好比招呼一个孩子,甚至像在召唤一只狗。
It made me cringe every time. 每次我都会吓得哆嗦,不敢出声。
I never said anything, but one day Abe and Derek started calling each other "Sandberg" in that same loud voice. 有一天,亚伯和德里克开始用同样大的音量,开玩笑地叫对方“桑德伯格”,
The self-absorbed SEM never seemed to notice. 而这位经理似乎从来没注意到这个变化。
They kept it up. When having too many Sandbergs got confusing, they decided we needed to differentiate. 他俩一直这样做,直到太多的“桑德伯格”引发了混乱,我们才决定要稍作区别。
Abe started calling himself "Asian Sandberg," Derek dubbed himself "good-looking Sandberg," and I became "Sandberg Sandberg." 亚伯称自己是“亚洲的桑德伯格”,德里克叫自己“帅气的桑德伯格”,而我成了“桑德伯格·桑德伯格”。
My colleagues turned an awful situation into one where I felt protected. 我的同事们把一个原本很糟糕的环境变成了一个让我感觉受到了保护的环境。
They stood up for me and made me laugh. 在那段日子里,他们给予我支持,让我开怀大笑。
They were the best mentors I could have had. 他们才是我最好的导师。
Since when it rains, it pours, on that same project, the senior client leader wanted to fix me up with his son. 那年的雨季之后,我的一位高级客户领队想撮合我和他儿子私下交往。
He declared this intention in front of his team over and over. 他在他的团队成员面前反复提起这件事,
I knew he meant it as a compliment, but it undermined my professional authority. 我知道他认为这是种恭维,但这样做却会削弱我的专业威信。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/xqyb/442929.html