英语PK台 第255期:谈钱不伤感情(在线收听) |
Dialogue 1: Xiao Gao: Hey, Jingjing,can I talk to you for a minute? I'd like to pick your brains about something.
小高:嗨,京晶,我能跟你说两句话吗?我有件事想问你的意见。
Jingjing: I'm all ears,what's up?
京晶:我在听,怎么啦?
Xiao Gao: I lent my friend 500 RMB two weeks ago, and he still hasn't paid me back. I'm at a loss of what to do.
小高:两周前我借给我朋友五百块钱,但是他还没有还我,我不知道该怎么办。
Jingjing: Well, you could give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he forgot about the money.
京晶:嗯,你可以相信你的朋友,可能他只是暂时忘了这件事情。
Xiao Gao: That's a lot of money to forget about. I'm really starting to get angry now.
小高:这么多钱肯定不会忘的,我真的开始有点儿生气了。
Jingjing: I suggest you sit down with him and have a heart-to-heart talk. Whatever you do, don't lash out and accuse him of stealing your money, he really might have forgotten.
京晶:我建议你和他坐下来开诚布公地聊聊,无论如何,你都不要说伤害人的话,不要斥责他偷了你的钱,他可能真的忘了。
Xiao Gao: I think I'd better keep him at arm's length from now on.
小高:我想我应该从现在起和他保持距离。
Jingjing: Don't jump to conclusions so fast, Xiao Gao. Talk to him about it first, and then draw your conclusion.
京晶:不要这么快就下结论,小高,先和他谈谈,然后再决定怎么做。
Xiao Gao: Okay, I'll keep you posted.
小高:好的,到时候我会告诉你事情的进展的。
Jingjing: Good luck.
京晶:祝你好运!
习语短语:
1. pick someone's brains = 询问某人的意见
2. I'm all ears. = 我洗耳恭听。
3. at a loss = 困惑;不知道怎么办
4. give someone the benefit of the doubt = 暂且相信某人;给某人一次证明自己的机会
5. a heart-to-heart (conversation) = 坦率的;开诚布公的;诚恳的(交谈)
6. lash out = (用言语)攻击;狠批
7. keep someone at arm's length= 和某人保持距离,不要太近
8. jump to conclusions = 妄下结论
9. keep someone posted = 告知某人某事
Dialogue 2:
Jingjing: So, Xiao Gao, were you able to get your money back?
京晶:小高,你把钱要回来了吗?
Xiao Gao: Yeah, but it was no walk in the park.
小高:是的,但是费了一番波折。
Jingjing: What do you mean?
京晶:怎么回事啊?
Xiao Gao: I asked him if he could give me my money back, and he told me that it had completely slipped his mind.
小高:我问他能不能还我钱,他说他已经把这件事忘得一干二净了。
Jingjing: So did he give the money back to you then?
京晶:那么他后来把钱还给你了吗?
Xiao Gao: He only gave me 300. He said he will give me the other 200 next week once he gets paid. But then I remembered that he was going on vacation next week, so I called him on his bluff.
小高:他只给了我三百块钱,他说下周他一拿到工资就给我另外的二百。但是我想起来他下周要去度假,所以我就揭穿了他的谎话。
Jingjing: Did he come clean?
京晶:那他后来说真话了吗?
Xiao Gao: Yes, he apologized and gave me the other 200 the next day. He said he has been really tight for cash lately.
小高:是的,他跟我道了歉并且在第二天就给了我另外的两百块钱,他说他最近手头很紧。
Jingjing: It sounds like you buried the hatchet with him?
京晶:听起来你们已经冰释前嫌了?
Xiao Gao: Yeah, I decided to let bygones be bygones. Now we're back to being good friends,just like before.
小高:说了,过去的事情就让它过去吧,现在我们又成为朋友了,像以前一样。
Jingjing: I'm glad you listened to me and were able to remain friends with him.
京晶:我很高兴你听了我的话并且和他还是朋友。
Xiao Gao: Yeah… Oh,Jingjing, what would I do without you?
小高:是啊,哦,京晶,没有你我可怎么办呀?
习语短语:
1. a walk in the park = 轻而易举
2. slip one's mind = 忘得一干二净了
3. call someone's bluff = 拆穿某人
4. come clean =老实交代;说真话
5. tight for cash = 手头紧;缺钱
6. bury the hatchet = 和解;冰释前嫌
7. let bygones be bygones =既往不咎 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/446399.html |