TED演讲:树木之间如何交流(3)(在线收听) |
Trees in real forests might also share information below ground. 在真正的森林中,树木可能还会在地下交流信息。 But this was really controversial, and some people thought I was crazy, 但这个想法其实挺有争议的,一些人觉得我疯了,
and I had a really hard time getting research funding. 所以我筹集科研经费的那段日子真的很艰难。
But I persevered, and I eventually conducted some experiments deep in the forest, 25 years ago. 但我坚持了下来,而且我最终在森林的深处成功做出了一些实验,那是在25年前。
I grew 80 replicates of three species: paper birch, Douglas fir, and western red cedar. 那时我种了三种树,一共80棵:有纸皮桦、花旗松和西部红杉。
I figured the birch and the fir would be connected in a belowground web, but not the cedar. 我认为纸皮桦和花旗松在地下的网络中应该是能交流的,但是西部红杉应该是不行的。
It was in its own other world. 西部红杉比较“与世隔绝”。
And I gathered my apparatus, and I had no money, so I had to do it on the cheap. 我收拾起我的设备仪器,我那时没钱啊,所以我决定得省着点。
So I went to Canadian Tire -- and I bought some plastic bags and duct tape and shade cloth, 所以我去了加拿大轮胎公司——我买了一些塑料袋、一些布基胶带和遮光布,
a timer, a paper suit, a respirator. 一个计时器、一件纸套装和一个呼吸器。
And then I borrowed some high-tech stuff from my university: 然后我又从我的大学借了一些高科技的东西:
a Geiger counter, a scintillation counter, a mass spectrometer, microscopes. 一个盖革计数器、一个闪烁计数器、一个质谱仪和几个显微镜。
And then I got some really dangerous stuff: 然后我又拿了一些非常危险的东西:
syringes full of radioactive carbon-14 carbon dioxide gas 几支充满了放射性碳14的二氧化碳气体的注射器,
and some high pressure bottles of the stable isotope carbon-13 carbon dioxide gas. 和几个高压气瓶,里面充满了稳定性同位素碳13的二氧化碳气体。
But I was legally permitted. 不过我这么做是合法的哦。
Oh, and I forgot some stuff, important stuff: the bug spray, the bear spray, the filters for my respirator. 哦对了,我还忘说了几样东西,很重要的东西:喷雾杀虫剂、防熊喷雾剂和我呼吸器的过滤网。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/kxp/451964.html |