TED演讲 自杀者的生死之桥(4)(在线收听) |
For most suicidal folks, 对于大多数试图自杀者, or those contemplating suicide, 或考虑自杀的人,
they wouldn't think of hurting another person. 他们不会想到会伤害到另一个人,
They just want their own pain to end. 他们就是想结束自己的痛苦。
Typically, this is accomplished in just three ways: 通常,只有三种方法可以实现:
sleep, drugs or alcohol, or death. 睡觉,毒品或酒精,或是死亡。
In my career, I've responded to and been involved in hundreds of mental illness and suicide calls around the bridge. 在我的职业生涯中,我参与了数百起大桥附近的精神疾病和自杀报案。大桥附近的精神疾病和自杀报案。
Of those incidents I've been directly involved with, 其中我直接参与的事件里,
I've only lost two, 我只失去了两个,
but that's two too many. 但两个实在太多了。
One was Jason. 一个是杰森。
The other was a man I spoke to for about an hour. 另外一个是名男子,我和他谈了大约一个小时。
During that time, he shook my hand on three occasions. 在那一小时里,他三次与我握手。
On that final handshake, 最后一次握手时,
he looked at me, and he said, 他看着我说,
Kevin, I'm sorry, but I have to go. 凯文,我很抱歉,我得走了。
And he leapt. 他一跃而下。
Horrible, absolutely horrible. 太可怕了,真的太可怕了。
I do want to tell you, though, 但我真的想告诉你们,
the vast majority of folks that we do get to contact on that bridge do not commit suicide. 绝大多数我们在桥上与之有过接触的人都没有自杀。
Additionally, that very few who have jumped off the bridge and lived and can talk about it, 另外,那些跳下桥并且幸存的极少数,那些能说起这件事的人,
that one to two percent, 那百分之一、二的人,
most of those folks have said that the second that they let go of that rail, 其中多数人都说,他们放开护栏的一瞬间,
they knew that they had made a mistake and they wanted to live. 他们知道了自己犯下了一个错误,他们想活。
I tell people, the bridge not only connects Marin to San Francisco, 我告诉人们,金门大桥连接的不仅是马林县与旧金山,
but people together also. 也连接着人与人之间。
That connection, or bridge that we make, 这种连接,或者我们所建的这座桥,
is something that each and every one of us should strive to do. 代表着我们每一个人应当为之而努力的东西。
Suicide is preventable. 自杀是可以避免的。
There is help. There is hope. 有帮助,也有希望。
Thank you very much. 非常感谢大家。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/ylp/452660.html |