TED演讲:见证现代奴役的照片(4)(在线收听) |
Every 20 minutes, I'd have to run back to our cruiser to clean out my gear and run it under an air conditioner to revive it, 每20分钟,我就必须跑回车上清理我的设备,让它在空调底下吹着冷气它才能重新启动, and as I sat there, I thought, my camera is getting far better treatment than these people. 我坐在车上想,就连摄像机受到的待遇都比这些活生生的人要好得多。
Back in the kilns, I wanted to cry, 回到窑内,我忍不住想哭,
but the abolitionist next to me quickly grabbed me and he said, "Lisa, don't do that. Just don't do that here." 但是身旁的废奴主义同伴迅速地拉住了我他说:Lisa别哭,别在这里哭。
And he very clearly explained to me that emotional displays are very dangerous in a place like this,not just for me, but for them. 然后他跟我解释到在这样的地方抒发自己的情绪是很危险的,不仅对我而言危险,对这些工人们也是。
I couldn't offer them any direct help. I couldn't give them money, nothing. 我没有办法给他们提供任何直接的帮助。我不能给他们钱,我什么也给不了。
I wasn't a citizen of that country. I could get them in a worse situation than they were already in. 我不是那个国家的公民。我的行为很有可能会让他们的境遇比现在更糟。
I'd have to rely on Free the Slaves to work within the system for their liberation,and I trusted that they would. 我只能指望Free the Slaves组织能够在体系内发挥作用解放他们,我相信他们可以做到。
As for me, I'd have to wait until I got home to really feel my heartbreak. 就我来说,我必须等回到家以后才能去品尝这份心痛。
In the Himalayas, I found children carrying stone for miles down mountainous terrain to trucks waiting at roads below. 在喜马拉雅,我见到了做苦力的小孩背着石头走上几公里的山路到路边等着的卡车旁。
The big sheets of slate were heavier than the children carrying them, 那些大石板比搬运石板的孩子还要重,
and the kids hoisted them from their heads using these handmade harnesses of sticks and rope and torn cloth. 孩子们用树枝,绳子,破烂的衣服制成背带把石板绑在自己身上。
It's difficult to witness something so overwhelming. 目睹这样沉甸甸的场景是一件极其痛苦的事。
How can we affect something so insidious, yet so pervasive? 我们怎么才能干预这些隐藏于舆论之外,但却堪称普遍的恶事?
Some don't even know they're enslaved,people working 16, 17 hours a day without any pay, 一些人甚至都不认为他们在被人奴役,每天工作十六七个小时得不到半点酬劳,
because this has been the case all their lives. 因为他们生来就过着这样的日子。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/gjwtp/452852.html |