TED演讲:为了关闭监狱 就要创办学校(2)(在线收听) |
It was evident when I would ask my 13-year-old, "Young man, where do you see yourself in five years?" 我问一个13岁的孩子,“年轻人,你认为五年后你会怎么样?”答案似乎显而易见。 And his response: "I don't know if I'm gonna live that long." 而他的回答是:“我不知道我能否活那么长时间。”
Or to have a young woman say to me that she had a lifelong goal of working in a fast-food restaurant. 还有一位年轻女生对我说,她毕生的目标只是在快餐店工作。
To me, this was unacceptable. 对我而言,这实在难以接受。
It was also evident that they had no idea that there was a landscape of opportunity that existed beyond their neighborhood. 显然他们尚未意识到,在他们生活的地区之外,还有着大片广阔的机遇。
We call our students "scholars," because they're lifelong learners. 我们把我们的学生称为“学者”,因为他们是终身学习者。
And the skills that they learn today will prepare them for college and career readiness. 他们现在所学的技能将为他们今后的大学和事业打下坚实的基础。
I chose the royal colors of purple and black, because I want them to be reminded that they are descendants of greatness, 我选择象征皇室的紫色和黑色,因为我希望他们明白自己是伟大的后代。
and that through education, they are future engineers, scientists, entrepreneurs and even leaders who can and will take over this world. 通过教育,他们将成为未来的工程师,科学家,企业家甚至成为掌管这世界的领导者。
To date, we have had three graduating classes, at a 98 -- At a 98-percent graduation rate. 到目前为止,我们已有三届毕业班,有98的--有98%的毕业率。
This is nearly 200 children, who are now going to some of the most competitive high schools in New York City. 这意味着将近200个孩子,将有幸进入纽约市竞争最激烈的高中。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/gjwtp/453174.html |