TED演讲:为什么应该喜爱'恶心'的科学(4)(在线收听) |
And while I don't have any concrete data to back up this next idea, 虽然目前我没有具体的数据来支持我的下一个想法, I think that for a lot of us, it happens around the time we hit puberty. 但我认为对大多数人来说,当我们迈入青春期时,这种情况便已司空见惯。
And you know -- yeah, I know. So during puberty, our bodies are changing, and we're sweating more, 就像这样--没错,这就是那个时期的我。我们的身体在青春期时开始改变,出更多的汗,
and girls get their periods, and we're thinking about sex in this way that we never did before. 女孩开始月经,我们从未这样思考过性。
And through the human capacity for abstraction, this shame can settle in. 受人类抽象思维能力的限制,这种羞愧便很容易立足。
So we don't necessarily just think, "Oh, my goodness, something really gross is happening to my body!" 我们不会只想到:“哦,天呐,我的身体正经历着恶心的东西!”
We think, "Oh my God, maybe I'm gross. And maybe that means that there's something bad or wrong about me." 我们会想:“哦,上帝,也许我很恶心。也许那意味着我出了什么问题。”
The thing is, that if you de facto associate gross stuff with immorality, 问题是,如果你们将恶心的事物与不道德联系在一起,
you lose a huge part of your curiosity, because there is so much out there in the world that is a little bit gross. 就会失去绝大部分的好奇心,因为世界包罗万象,总有一部分多少有点恶心。
Like, think about going for a walk in the woods. 举个例子,想象在丛林中漫步。
You could just pay attention to the birds and the trees and the flowers and that would be fine, 你或许只会注意到鸟、树和花,它们很漂亮,
but in my view, you'd be missing a bigger and more awesome picture of life on this planet. 但我看来,你会错失这个星球中生命更加广阔和奇妙的一面。
There are cycles of decay that are driving forest growth, 衰变的循环正驾驭着森林的生长,
and there are networks of fungus beneath your feet that are connecting literally all of the plants around you. 在你们脚下存在着网络般的菌类植物,与你们身边的植物紧密相连。
That's really amazing. So I feel like we should be talking about gross stuff early and often with young people, 那确实令人吃惊。所以我认为我们应该尽早并且频繁的与年轻人谈论恶心的东西,
so they feel like they're actually allowed to claim this bigger picture of life on our planet. 让他们真切地感受到需要体会我们星球上的生命中广阔的一面。
The good news is that for many of us, 对大多数人来说好消息是:
the fascination with gross stuff doesn't exactly go away, we just kind of pretend like it's not there. 恶心事物的乐趣并未消失殆尽,我们只是有意无意地忽视了它们的存在。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/kxp/456903.html |