欧美人文风情第6篇:我很矮,但不要小看我(在线收听) |
I don't think there is a certain point in anyone's life where they grow up. 我不认为任何人的一生中有一个他们成长的特定时刻。 I think that we're growing up all the time, and we always will be. 我认为我们一直在成长,而我们会永远如此。
My name is Jon Novick. I'm 20 years old, and I'm a dwarf with achondroplasia. 我的名字是 Jon Novick。我 20 岁,我是一个有软骨发育不全症的侏儒。
Before I was even born, my mother studied genetics in graduate school. 在我还没出生前,我的母亲在研究所研究遗传学。
Specifically, she had an interest in achondroplastic dwarfism that she did a study on. 特别是,她对她论文研究的软骨发育不全侏儒症有兴趣。
Achondroplastic dwarfism is the kind of dwarfism that I have, 软骨发育不全侏儒症就是我罹患的那种病症,
so when I was born, she had a lot of extra information and she had a lot of books to help her parent me. 所以当我出生时,她有很多额外的资讯而且,她有许多书籍帮助她养育我。
The definition for dwarfism is the abnormal underdevelopment of the body characterized predominantly by extreme shortness of stature. 侏儒症的定义,是主要以极短体型为特征的身体异常发育不良症状。
There's a lot of different kinds of dwarfism, as I mentioned before, and the most common kind is the kind that I have, which is achondroplasia. 有许多不同种类的侏儒症,像我先前提到的,而最常见的种类就是我得到的那种,也就是软骨发育不全。
Achondroplasia is characterized by disproportionately short limbs, a normal-sized torso, large head, and with a depressed nasal bridge, right here, a small face, 软骨发育不全症以不符比例的四肢、正常大小的躯干、巨大的头、以及扁平的鼻柱--在这儿--小的面孔、
and stubby hands, as well as the curvature of the spine. 以及粗短的手、还有弯曲的脊椎为特征。
The term is dwarf or little person. One or the other is totally fine, just not "midget." 一般的名称是侏儒或小小人。两者之中择一都没问题,只要不是“小矮子”。
A lot of times, midget is thrown around as the term to describe someone who has dwarfism. And not only is that incorrect but it's incredibly offensive. 很多时候,小矮子被随意说出口当成形容某个有侏儒症的人的词。但这不只不正确,而且还非常冒犯人。
I moved to New York City about a year ago. And although I considered it ultimately a good experience, it was made a lot more difficult because of my dwarfism. 我大约一年前搬到纽约市。尽管我认为这绝对是段美好的体验,一切还是因我的侏儒症而困难许多。
I grew up in a small town, and I would have, you know, negative encounters every now and then, 我在一个小镇长大,而我会有,你知道,偶尔一些不快的遭遇,
but for the most part, I had friends and I had family who supported me. 但大多情况下,我有朋友、和支持我的家人。
School wasn't a nightmare, and I just was able to have a pretty average childhood. 学校生活并不是噩梦,而我正好能有个蛮普通的童年。
A year ago when I moved to the city, I noticed that there was a lot of people. There was a lot, a lot of people. 一年前当我搬到这城市时,我注意到有很多人。有很多、很多人。
And because of that, I had a lot of encounters. I would have people to take pictures of me on the subway. I would have people that would harass me. 因为那样,我有许多遭遇。我会遇到人们在地铁拍我的照片。我会遇到骚扰我的人。
And just all these things, all these almost daily occurrences, they would continue happening—continue happening until it got to a point where I just got fed up with it. 而就是这所有的事,所有这些几乎每天发生的事,它们会不断发生--不断发生直到到达一个我真的受够了的程度。
I wanted to stop telling people what happened to me, and I wanted to start showing people what happened to me. 我想停止告诉人们发生在我身上的事,然后我想开始展示给人们看发生在我身上的事。
I wanted to show everyone what a day in my life was like. 我想给每个人看我生活中的一天是怎样的。
I was fortunate enough to be able to use this camera, which is actually known as a button camera, 我真够幸运能使用这个摄影机,这其实被称做钮扣摄影机,
because the lens I'm gonna be using is so tiny. It has a button cover-up that I'm gonna be slipping through a shirt that will be completely unnoticeable. 因为我即将要用的镜头是如此小。这有个钮扣掩饰,我要把它穿过一件衬衫,这样就完全不会被查觉。
So we're all packed up. The camera is all ready and going. I'm gonna turn it on right now. 那么我们全着装完成了。摄影机都淮备好然后开录了。我现在要把它打开。
It's rolling. 这在录了。
And we're gonna go see what we can capture, so let's head out. 然后我们要出发看看我们能捕捉到什么画面, 那我们出去吧。
What is he? 他是什么东西?
Have you been on TV? 你有上过电视吗?
I have not. 我没有。
You know who you look like? 你知道你看起来像谁吗?
Who? 谁?
Have you ever seen that show Little People Big World? 你有没有看过那个节目《小矮人大世界》?
Yeah. 有。
Yeah. You look like the son, man. 对啦。你看起来像那个儿子,老兄。
I do? 我像吗?
Yeah. 是的。
Why do you say that? I just do? Do you see a lot of little people? 你为什么那样说?我就是像吗?你看过很多小小人吗?
Man, I'm from Oklahoma. 老兄,我是从奥克拉荷马州来的。
Little midget! Big man, big penis. 死小矮子!大个头、大鸡鸡。
What? What did you say? 什么?你说什么?
Hey! Short stuff! 嘿!矮东西!
Wow. 哇。
Man, I hope I didn't offend you. 老兄,我希望我没冒犯到你。
Oh, no, no, it's okay. I appreciate that. No, it's fine. 喔,不、不会,没事的。我很感谢你的关心。不,没关系。
Hey, can I get your picture? 嘿,我可以照一张你的相片吗?
No. 不。
Are you from one of the shows with the little people? 你是从一个有小矮人的那节目来的吗?
Not that I know of. No, I'm not. 就我所知不是。不,我不是。
You look identical with the guy. 你和那人看起来一模一样耶。
I don't want to tell anyone what to do, or what to think, or how to feel. 我不想告诉任何人该做什么、或该想什么、或该如何感受。
But instead, what I'll do is I'll ask. I'll ask that the next time you see someone who is different than you, 但取而代之地,我会做的是我会请求各位。我会请求各位,下次你看到一个和你不同的人,
think about what their day might be like, think about all the events of their life leading up to that point, 想想看他们的日子可能像怎样、想想看他们生命中所有的事件引导到那个临界点,
then think about their day, and think about what part of their day do you want to be. 然后想想他们的一天,并想想你想要参与他们一天中的哪个部分。
|
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/omrwfq/465198.html |