欧美人文风情第24篇:诚实咖啡馆(在线收听) |
The Vault is like any other coffee shop, and then it has coffee, tea, and pastries. 金库咖啡就像任何其他的咖啡馆一样,所以它有咖啡、茶类、跟酥皮点心。 The one thing is missing—staff. 有一个消失的东西--店员。
At the time I didn't realize how unique that was. I thought it just made sense. 那时我还没有理解到那有多特别。我想它就是很合理。
And I found out later by googling. Really there isn't anything else like it. 我稍后在Google搜寻发现的。确实没有任何地方像它一样。
When David Brekke and his wife Kimberly opened the shop in October, 当David Brekke及他的妻子Kimberly在十月开了这间店时,
they decided it was fitting to allow people to serve themselves and pay on the honor system. 他们决定那要能够让人们自己动手,并以荣誉制度付款。
They haven't broken even yet, but it's not because people are stealing. 他们还未收支平衡,但那不是因为人们有偷窃行为。
The thing that's amazing is that people have been extremely honest. 很奇妙的事是人们一直以来都非常诚实。
When I add up how much has been taken and how much is in the till the end of the day, people are 15% more generous than thieving. 当我在一天尾声总结有多少商品被取走、以及多少钱在柜柜里面时,人们的慷慨程度比平常多出15%,而不是贪小便宜。
The process couldn't be simpler. You just grab your coffee, pay, and sit down and have a chat. 这个过程不能再更简单了。你只要拿你的咖啡、付钱、坐下、并聊天。
It's really very convenient to use. I hope that they financially make it, 使用非常方便。我希望他们财务上能过得去,
but most people in town, I think, are pretty honest. 但城里大部分的人,我认为啦,都满诚实的。
And there's plenty else to draw people in: two pianos, artwork for sale, and a whole lot of books. 还有许多其他特色能吸引人入内:两架钢琴、出售的艺术品、还有好多好多的书。
It's a great place to sit where it's quiet and read, and little by little, 这是能坐下来并阅读的宁静好地方,渐渐地,
there are more and more people coming in all the time. 有越来越多人一直进来。
Brekke spent three and a half years renovating the former bank, turning it from this to this: Brekke花了三年半翻修旧银行,将它从这个变成这个:
A true "for the people" coffee shop that this community is embracing wholeheartedly. 一间这个社区全心接受的真正“我为人人”咖啡馆。
From Valley City, Aaron Boerner, Fox News. 福斯新闻Aaron Boerner在Valley City报导。
|
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/omrwfq/465239.html |