欧美人文风情第174篇:和黑猩猩交心的人 - 珍 古德(在线收听) |
It's fascinating to me to think about, you know, the beingness of creatures on this planet. 对我而言去思考,你知道,在这个星球上的生物的存在性是很吸引人的。 And it's very obvious that we are human beings, so I always feel we have chimpanzee beings and dog beings. 很显然我们是人们,所以我总是认为我们也有黑猩猩们以及狗儿们。
And I like to talk about them as he and she, which I was horribly criticized for at the beginning. 而我喜欢将他们当作“他”和“她”来讨论,为此我在一开始受到严苛的批判。
And I was told that we humans were the only beings with personalities, minds, and emotions, 有人告诉我,我们人类是唯一拥有个性、思想、以及情感的生物,
but I learned from my childhood teacher that that wasn't true, 但我从我的童年导师那学到那不是正确的,
and that childhood teacher was my dog, Rusty. 而那童年导师是我的狗,Rusty。
People said why did I name the chimpanzees? Why wouldn't I name them? 人们说我为什么要替黑猩猩取名字?我为什么不会替他们取名呢?
Every animal I'd ever had had a name. 我曾养过的每只动物都有名字。
My guinea pigs had names; my golden hamster had a name; the caterpillars that I kept to turn into butterflies—they all had names. 我的天竺鼠有名字;我的黄金鼠有名字;我养来变成蝴蝶的毛毛虫们--他们都有名字。
Of course I would name chimpanzees. I couldn't remember them if they had numbers. 我当然会替黑猩猩取名字啊。如果他们只有号码,我就无法记住他们。
Thanks for National Geographic, people got to know the chimpanzees as individuals, which they were. 感谢国家地理频道,人们得以将黑猩猩当成独一无二的个体来认识,而他们的确是。
They had names, like David Greybeard, the first one to lose his fear; Old Flo, that amazing matriarch. 他们有名字,像是灰胡子大卫,他是第一隻放下恐惧的黑猩猩;老芙洛,那了不起的女家长。
If they'd been number 1, 10, 15, nobody would have had a clue, including me. 如果他们只是编号 1、10、15,没人会知道在说谁,包括我在内。
It doesn't mean anything. 编号不具任何意义。
And I was told that you have to give them numbers because you've got to be objective as a scientist, 人们告诉我,你必须给他们号码,因为身为一位科学家你一定得客观,
and you mustn't empathize with your subject. 而且你绝不能对你的研究对象产生同理心。
And I feel this is where science has gone wrong. 我认为这就是科学开始走偏的地方。
To have this coldness, this lack of empathy, has enabled some scientists to do unethical behavior. 拥有这种冷漠、这种同理心的缺乏,使得一些科学家能够做出不道德的行为。
Moreover, why deny a perfectly respectable tool? 此外,为何要拒绝一个十分可敬的工具呢?
I think those two are behaving like that because that's how I would behave if I was in that situation—that's empathy. 我想那两隻猩猩正像那样表现,因为如果我在那种情况下,那也是我会表现的方式--那就是同理心。
Once you've worked out why you think they are doing it,then you can start testing that: 一旦你想出为什么你觉得他们这样做,然后你就可以开始测试:
Am I right? Is this a valid assumption or not? 我是对的吗?这是否是个有依据的推论?
But it gives you a groundwork for asking questions. 但同理心给了你一个提出疑问的根基。
I think empathy is really important. 我认为同理心是非常重要的。
And I think only when our clever brain and our human heart work together in harmony can we achieve our full potential. 而且我想只有在我们聪明的脑袋和我们人心和谐地共同运作时,我们才能发挥我们最大的潜能。
|
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/omrwfq/465751.html |