美国语文第六册 第182期:论幸福感(4)(在线收听

Nothing came amiss to him.

没有什么事情能让他大发雷霆。

His inattention to money matters had concerned his father to such a degree that all intercession of friends was fruitless.

他在金钱方面的粗心大意令他父亲非常忧虑,以至于不管朋友们如何求情都无济于事。

The old gentleman was on his deathbed.

这位老绅士气得半死,躺在床上奄奄一息了。

The whole family (and Dick among the number) gathered around him.

全家人(迪克也在其中)都围在床前。

"I leave my second son, Andrew," said the expiring miser, "my whole estate, and desire him to be frugal."

“我把后事委托给二儿子安德鲁,”这位就要断气的吝啬鬼说,“我全部的不动产都会被他败光的。”

Andrew, in a sorrowful tone (as is usual on such occasions), prayed heaven to prolong his life and health to enjoy it himself.

安德鲁声音悲戚(在这种场合通常是这种口气)地祈祷上帝,希望能延长他的生命,让他享受健康带来的快乐。

"I recommend Simon, my third son, to the care of his elder brother, and leave him, besides, four thousand pounds."

“我推荐我的三儿子西蒙来照管他的哥哥。除此之外,留给他四千英镑。”

"Ah, father!" cried Simon (in great affliction, to be sure), "may heaven give you life and health to enjoy it yourself!"

“啊,父亲!”西蒙喊道(可以肯定,非常痛苦),“但愿上帝能赐给你生命,让你安享健康带来的快乐!”

At last, turning to poor Dick: "As for you, you have always been a sad dog;

最后,他转向可怜的迪克:“至于你嘛,你一向是一个行为放荡之人;

you'll never come to good; you'll never be rich; I leave you a shilling to buy a halter."

你永远不会有所作为;你也不可能发财;我留给你一先令买条缰绳好拴住你自己。”

"Ah, father!" cries Dick, without any emotion, "may heaven give you life and health to enjoy it yourself!"

“啊,父亲!”迪克叫道,声音淡然,“但愿上帝能赐给你生命,让你安享健康带来的快乐!”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d6c/482087.html