时代周刊:毕业生们需要怎样的演讲(在线收听

What grads need to hear

毕业生们需要怎样的演讲

This spring is a special one for our family: my daughter will graduate from college just days after my son graduates from high school.

对我们家而言,今年春天是一个特别的春天:我儿子即将高中毕业,几天后,我女儿也将走出大学校园。

Even when I’m not playing the role of proud mom, I tend to be a fan of commencement season.

即使不扮演自豪母亲的角色,我也经常是毕业季的粉丝。

I like hearing from America’s thinkers, doers and builders about their hopes for the next generation.

我喜欢听美国的思想家、实干家和建设者谈论他们对下一代的希望。

But this year, I’m looking for something more.

但今年,我希望能还能听到点儿别的东西。

I want to know what these speakers plan to do to ensure that the future we’ll share has a place in it for every graduate.

我想知道,这些演讲嘉宾打算用怎样的行动来确保每个毕业生在我们命运与共的未来里都有一席之地。

It’s no secret that the modern American workplace works better for some people than others.

众所周知,现代美国职场善待了某些人却没有善待其他人。

There are fewer female leaders of Fortune 500 companies than there are ones named James,

财富500强企业女性领导者的人数比叫詹姆斯的人要少,

and African-American and Hispanic women hold less than 5% of jobs in tech.

非裔美国人和西班牙裔女性在科技行业的就业比例还不到5%。

I hope that this year’s commencement speakers will offer concrete plans for changing that.

我希望,今年毕业典礼的演讲嘉宾们能提出切实的计划来改变这一现状。

From paid family leave to mentorship programs to recruiting more diverse talent pools,

从带薪探亲假到辅导项目,再到聘用更多的多样化人才,

there are many steps employers can take to remove the barriers that threaten graduates’ dreams.

用人单位有很多措施可以采取,帮助扫除毕业生梦想道路上的障碍。

Any commencement speaker can encourage young people to live up to their potential.

任何一位毕业典礼演讲嘉宾都可以鼓励年轻人发挥自己的潜力。

But our graduates deserve more than encouragement; they deserve action.

但我们的毕业生应得的不仅仅是鼓励,更应得到行动。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sdzk/516732.html