四签名 117琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(27)(在线收听

'Why, as to that, gentlemen,' I answered, trying also to be cool but feeling as excited as he did,

我也故作冷静,可是内心也是同样激动地答道:'论到代价,

'there is only one bargain which a man in my position can make.

在我这样的处境只有一个条件:

I shall want you to help me to my freedom, and to help my three companions to theirs.

我希望你们协助我和我的三个朋友恢复自由,

We shall then take you into partnership and give you a fifth share to divide between you.'

然后同你们合作,以五分之一的宝物作为对你们两人的报酬。'

'Hum!' said he. 'A fifth share! That is not very tempting.'

他道:'哼!五分之一,这个不值得一办!'

'It would come to fifty thousand apiece,' said I.

我道:'算来每人也有五万镑呢。'

'But how can we gain your freedom? You know very well that you ask an impossibility.'

'可是我们怎么能够恢复你们的自由呢?你要知道,你的要求是绝对办不到的事情。'

'Nothing of the sort,' I answered. 'I have thought it all out to the last detail.

我答道:'这个并没有什么困难,我已考虑得十分成熟了。

The only bar to our escape is that we can get no boat fit for the voyage, and no provisions to last us for so long a time.

所困难的就是我们得不到一只适于航行的船和足够的干粮。

There are plenty of little yachts and yawls at Calcutta or Madras which would serve our turn well.

在加尔各答或马德拉斯,合用的小快艇和双桅快艇多得很,

Do you bring one over. We shall engage to get aboard her by night,

只要你们弄一只来,我们夜里一上船,

and if you will drop us on any part of the Indian coast you will have done your part of the bargain.'

把我们送到印度沿海任何一个地方,你们的义务就算是尽到了。'

'If there were only one,' he said.

他道:'只有你一个人还好办。'

'None or all,' I answered. 'We have sworn it. The four of us must always act together.'

我答道:'少一个也不行,我们已经立誓,四个人生死不离。'

'You see, Morstan,' said he, 'Small is a man of his word.

"他道:'摩斯坦,你看,斯茂是个守信的人,

He does not flinch from his friends. I think we may very well trust him.'

他不辜负朋友,咱们可以信任他。'

'It's a dirty business,' the other answered. 'Yet, as you say, the money will save our commissions handsomely.'

摩斯坦答道:'真是一件肮脏事啊。可是象你所说,这笔钱可真能解决咱们的问题呢。'

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533300.html