红发会 11正式应聘(2)(在线收听

"There was nothing in the office but a couple of wooden chairs and a deal table,

"办公室里除了几把木椅和一张办公桌外,没有别的东西。

behind which sat a small man with a head that was even redder than mine.

办公桌后面坐着一个头发颜色比我的还要红的小个子男人;

He said a few words to each candidate as he came up,

每一个候选人走到他跟前,他都说几句,

and then he always managed to find some fault in them which would disqualify them.

然后他总是想办法在他们身上挑毛病,说他们不合格。

Getting a vacancy did not seem to be such a very easy matter, after all.

原来,要得到一个职位并不是那么容易的事情。

However, when our turn came the little man was much more favourable to me than to any of the others,

不管怎么样,轮到我们的时候,这个小个子男人对我比对任何其他人都客气多了。

and he closed the door as we entered, so that he might have a private word with us."

我们走进去后,他就把门关上,这样他可以和我们单独谈。"

'This is Mr. Jabez Wilson,' said my assistant, 'and he is willing to fill a vacancy in the League.'

我的伙计说,'这位是杰贝兹·威尔逊先生,他愿意填补红发会的空缺。'

'And he is admirably suited for it,' the other answered.

对方回答说,'他非常适合担任这个职务。

'He has every requirement. I cannot recall when I have seen anything so fine.'

他满足了我们的一切条件。在我的记忆中,我还没有看见过有谁的头发颜色比他的更好的了。'

He took a step backward, cocked his head on one side, and gazed at my hair until I felt quite bashful.

他后退了一步,歪着脑袋,凝视着我的头发,直看得我不好意思起来。

Then suddenly he plunged forward, wrung my hand, and congratulated me warmly on my success.

随即他一个箭步向前拉住我的手,热烈祝贺我求职成功。

'It would be injustice to hesitate,' said he. 'You will, however, I am sure, excuse me for taking an obvious precaution.'

他说,'如果再犹豫不决那就太不对了。不过,对不起,我显然必须谨慎小心,我相信你是不会介意的。'

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533845.html