五个桔核 08神秘来信(2)(在线收听

I did as he ordered, and when the lawyer arrived I was asked to step up to the room.

我照他的吩咐办了。律师来到时,我被召唤到他的房间里。

The fire was burning brightly, and in the grate there was a mass of black,

炉火熊熊,在壁炉的炉栅里有一堆黑色蓬松的纸灰烬。

fluffy ashes, as of burned paper, while the brass box stood open and empty beside it.

那黄铜箱匣放在一旁,敞着盖,里面空空如也。

As I glanced at the box I noticed, with a start,

我瞧了那匣子一眼,大吃一惊,

that upon the lid was printed the treble K which I had read in the morning upon the envelope.

因为那匣子盖上印着我上午在信封上所见到的那样的三个K字。

'I wish you, John,' said my uncle, 'to witness my will.

'约翰,我希望你,'我伯父说道,'作我的遗嘱见证人。

I leave my estate, with all its advantages and all its disadvantages,

我把我的产业,连带它的一切有利和不利之处,

to my brother, your father, whence it will, no doubt, descend to you.

留给我的兄弟--也就是你的父亲。无疑以后从你父亲那里又会遗留给你的。

If you can enjoy it in peace, well and good!

如果你能平安无事地享有它们,自然是好;

If you find you cannot, take my advice, my boy, and leave it to your deadliest enemy.

不过,如果你发觉不能,那么,孩子,我劝你把它留给你的死敌。

I am sorry to give you such a two-edged thing, but I can't say what turn things are going to take.

我很遗憾给你留下这样一个具有双重意义的东西,但是我也真说不上事情会向哪个方向发展。

Kindly sign the paper where Mr. Fordham shows you.'

请你按照福德姆律师在遗嘱上指给你的地方签上你的名字吧。'

I signed the paper as directed, and the lawyer took it away with him.

我照律师所指之处签了名,律师就将遗嘱带走了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534604.html