五个桔核 28奥彭肖的死讯(3)(在线收听

We sat in silence for some minutes, Holmes more depressed and shaken than I had ever seen him.

我们默默地坐了几分钟,福尔摩斯意气沮丧,深受震惊的神情是我从未见过的。

"That hurts my pride, Watson," he said at last.

"这件事伤了我的自尊心,华生,"他终于开口说道,

"It is a petty feeling, no doubt, but it hurts my pride.

"虽然这是一种偏狭的感情,但它是伤了我的自尊心。

It becomes a personal matter with me now, and, if God sends me health, I shall set my hand upon this gang.

现在这成为我个人的事了。如上帝假我以天年,我就要亲手解决这帮家伙。

That he should come to me for help, and that I should send him away to his death...!"

他跑来向我求救,而我竟然把他打发走去送死...!"

He sprang from his chair and paced about the room in uncontrollable agitation,

他从椅子里一跃而起,在房中踱来踱去,情绪激动,难以抑制。

with a flush upon his sallow cheeks and a nervous clasping and unclasping of his long thin hands.

他深陷的双颊上浮现赧颜,两只瘦长的手不安地一会儿手指交叉着紧握在一起,一会儿又松开。

"They must be cunning devils," he exclaimed at last.

最后,他大声说道:"他们这帮魔鬼真是狡猾透了。

"How could they have decoyed him down there? The Embankment is not on the direct line to the station.

他们怎么能够把他骗到那儿去的呢?那堤岸并不在直达车站的路线上呀!

The bridge, no doubt, was too crowded, even on such a night, for their purpose.

对于达到他们的目的来说,即使在这样一个黑夜,在那座桥上无疑也是人太多了。

Well, Watson, we shall see who will win in the long run. I am going out now!" "To the police?"

唉,华生,咱们瞧着吧,看谁最后取得胜利!我现在就要出去了!""去找警察吗?"

"No; I shall be my own police. When I have spun the web they may take the flies, but not before."

"不,我自己来当警察。等我结好了网,就可以来捕捉苍蝇了。可是要在结好网之后捕捉。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534861.html