歪唇男人 17圣克莱尔的故事(6)(在线收听

I have watched the fellow more than once before ever I thought of making his professional acquaintance,

在我想到必须对他的以乞讨为生的情况进行了解以前,我也曾不止一次地观察过这个家伙,

and I have been surprised at the harvest which he has reaped in a short time.

但只有在了解他的乞讨情况之后,我才对他在一会儿工夫收获之多深感吃惊。

His appearance, you see, is so remarkable that no one can pass him without observing him.

你知道他的形象是那么异常,没有一个由他面前路过的人能不看他一眼的。

A shock of orange hair, a pale face disfigured by a horrible scar,

一头蓬松的红头发;一张苍白的面孔被一块可怕的伤疤弄的更加难看,

which, by its contraction, has turned up the outer edge of his upper lip,

这块伤疤,一经收缩就把上唇的外部边缘翻卷上去了;

a bulldog chin, and a pair of very penetrating dark eyes,

一副叭儿狗似的下巴;一双目光锐利的黑眼睛,

which present a singular contrast to the colour of his hair,

这两只眼睛和他的头发的颜色形成鲜明的对照;

all mark him out from amid the common crowd of mendicants,

这一切都显示出他和一般乞丐不同。

and so, too, does his wit, for he is ever ready with a reply to any piece of chaff which may be thrown at him by the passers-by.

而且,他的智力也显然是超群的,因为过路人投给他无论是什么破烂东西时,他都有话可说。

This is the man whom we now learn to have been the lodger at the opium den,

现在我们知道他就是那个在烟馆里寄宿的人,

and to have been the last man to see the gentleman of whom we are in quest."

并且也正是最后目睹我们想寻找的那个绅士的人。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534881.html