斑点带子案 25启程出发(2)(在线收听

At Waterloo we were fortunate in catching a train for Leatherhead,

在滑铁卢,我们正好赶上一班开往莱瑟黑德的火车,

where we hired a trap at the station inn and drove for four or five miles through the lovely Surrey lanes.

到站后,我们从车站旅店雇了一辆双轮轻便马车,沿着可爱的萨里单行车道行驶了五六英里。

It was a perfect day, with a bright sun and a few fleecy clouds in the heavens.

那天天气极好,阳光明媚,晴空中白云轻飘。

The trees and wayside hedges were just throwing out their first green shoots,

树木和路边的树篱刚刚露出第一批嫩枝,

and the air was full of the pleasant smell of the moist earth.

空气中散发着令人心旷神怡的湿润的泥土气息。

To me at least there was a strange contrast between the sweet promise of the spring and this sinister quest upon which we were engaged.

对于我来说,至少觉得这春意盎然的景色和我们从事的这件不祥的调查是一个奇特的对照。

My companion sat in the front of the trap, his arms folded, his hat pulled down over his eyes,

我的伙伴双臂交叉地坐在马车的前部,帽子耷拉下来遮住了眼睛,

and his chin sunk upon his breast, buried in the deepest thought.

头垂到胸前,深深地陷入沉思之中。

Suddenly, however, he started, tapped me on the shoulder, and pointed over the meadows. "Look there!" said he.

可是蓦地他抬起头来,拍了拍我的肩膀,指着对面的草地。

A heavily timbered park stretched up in a gentle slope, thickening into a grove at the highest point.

一片树木茂密的园地,随着不很陡的斜坡向上延伸,在最高处形成了密密的一片丛林。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/535979.html