斑点带子案 34现场调查(7)(在线收听

"Thank you. That is quite settled," said he, rising and putting his lens in his pocket.

"谢谢你,差不多可以解决了。"说着,他站了起来把手中的放大镜放在衣袋里。

"Hello! Here is something interesting!"

"喂,这儿有件很有意思的东西!"

The object which had caught his eye was a small dog lash hung on one corner of the bed.

引其他注意的是挂在床头上的一根小打狗鞭子。

The lash, however, was curled upon itself and tied so as to make a loop of whipcord.

不过,这根鞭子是卷着的,而且打成结,以使鞭绳盘成一个圈。

"What do you make of that, Watson?"

"你怎么理解这件事,华生?"

"It's a common enough lash. But I don't know why it should be tied."

"那只不过是一根普通的鞭子。但我不明白,为什么要打成结?"

"That is not quite so common, is it?

"并不那么太普通吧。

Ah, me! it's a wicked world, and when a clever man turns his brains to crime it is the worst of all.

哎呀,这真是个万恶的世界,一个聪明人如果把脑子用在为非作歹上,那就糟透了。

I think that I have seen enough now, Miss Stoner, and with your permission we shall walk out upon the lawn."

我想我现在已经察看够了,斯托纳小姐,如果你许可的话,我们到外面草坪上去走走。"

I had never seen my friend's face so grim or his brow so dark as it was when we turned from the scene of this investigation.

我从来没有见到过我的朋友在离开调查现场时,脸色是那样的严峻,或者说,表情是那样的阴沉。

We had walked several times up and down the lawn,

我们在草坪上来来回回地走着,

neither Miss Stoner nor myself liking to break in upon his thoughts before he roused himself from his reverie.

无论是斯托纳小姐或者是我,都不想打断他的思路,直到他自己从沉思中恢复过来为止。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536469.html