斑点带子案 38提前准备(2)(在线收听

"You speak of danger. You have evidently seen more in these rooms than was visible to me."

"你说到危险。显然,你在这些房间里看到的东西比我看到的要多得多。"

"No, but I fancy that I may have deduced a little more. I imagine that you saw all that I did."

"不,但是我认为,我可能稍微多推断出一些东西。我想你同我一样看到了所有的东西。"

"I saw nothing remarkable save the bell-rope, and what purpose that could answer I confess is more than I can imagine."

"除了那铃绳以外,我没有看到其它值得注意的东西。至于那东西有什么用途,我承认,那不是我所能想象得出来的。"

"You saw the ventilator, too?"

"你也看到那通气孔了吧?"

"Yes, but I do not think that it is such a very unusual thing to have a small opening between two rooms.

"是的,但是我想在两个房间之间开个小洞,并不是什么异乎寻常的事。

It was so small that a rat could hardly pass through."

那洞口是那么窄小,连个耗子都很难钻过去。"

"I knew that we should find a ventilator before ever we came to Stoke Moran."

"在我们没来斯托克莫兰以前,我就知道,我们将会发现一个通气孔。"

"My dear Holmes!"

"哎呀,亲爱的福尔摩斯!"

"Oh, yes, I did. You remember in her statement she said that her sister could smell Dr. Roylott's cigar.

"哦,是的,我知道的。你记得当初她在叙述中提到她姐姐能闻到罗伊洛特医生的雪茄烟味。

Now, of course that suggested at once that there must be a communication between the two rooms.

那么,当然这立刻表明在两个房间当中必定有一个通道。

It could only be a small one, or it would have been remarked upon at the coroner's inquiry. I deduced a ventilator."

可是,它只可能是非常窄小的,不然在验尸官的询问中,就会被提到。因此,我推断是一个通气孔。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536473.html