TED演讲:如何成为生化人并扩展人类潜能(8)(在线收听

By connecting Jim's nervous system bidirectionally to his synthetic limb, neurological embodiment was achieved.

通过将吉姆的神经系统双向连接到他的合成肢体上,实现了神经体现。

I hypothesized that because Jim can think and move his synthetic limb,

我推测,因为吉姆能思考和移动他的合成肢体,

and because he can feel those movements within his nervous system,

他还能在神经系统内感受到那些移动,

the prosthesis is no longer a separate tool, but an integral part of Jim, an integral part of his body.

所以,假肢不再是单独的工具,而是吉姆的一部分,整个身体不可分割的一部分。

Because of this neurological embodiment, Jim doesn't feel like a cyborg.

由于神经体现,吉姆不觉得自己像生化人。

He feels like he just has his leg back, that he has his body back.

他觉得就像找回了自己的腿、找回自己的身体而已。

Now I'm often asked when I'm going to be neurally linked to my synthetic limbs bidirectionally, when I'm going to become a cyborg.

现在我经常被问到何时会将我的合成肢体双向接通神经,准备何时成为生化人。

The truth is, I'm hesitant to become a cyborg.

事实上,我很犹豫要不要成为生化人。

Before my legs were amputated, I was a terrible student. I got D's and often F's in school.

截肢前我是个糟糕的学生。在学校的成绩是D,常常是F。

Then, after my limbs were amputated, I suddenly became an MIT professor.

截肢后,我突然成为麻省理工学院的教授了。

Now I'm worried that once I'm neurally connected to my limbs once again, my brain will remap back to its not-so-bright self.

现在我有点担心,我的肢体一旦接通神经,大脑会重新回到那个不太聪明的自己。

But you know what, that's OK, because at MIT, I already have tenure.

不过没关系,你们也知道,我已是麻省理工学院的终身教授了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/kjp/536767.html