工程师大拇指案 20被砍掉的大拇指(6)(在线收听

But I am somewhat headstrong by nature, and the more ready to engage in an affair when there is some obstacle in the way.

但是我这个人天生有点固执,在从事某项工作而遇到阻碍时,就会更加坚持不懈。

I thought of my fifty-guinea fee, of my wearisome journey, and of the unpleasant night which seemed to be before me.

我想到我那五十畿尼的酬金,那一趟疲惫的旅行,还有看来摆在我面前的将是一个很不愉快的夜晚。

Was it all to go for nothing?

是否这一切都毫无代价地让它们付诸东流呢?

Why should I slink away without having carried out my commission, and without the payment which was my due?

为什么我不完成委托给我的任务,也不领取我应得的报酬就偷偷逃走呢?

This woman might, for all I knew, be a monomaniac.

就我所看到的,她可能是个偏执狂的女人。

With a stout bearing, therefore, though her manner had shaken me more than I cared to confess,

因此,尽管她的神态给我的震动大大超过了我所愿意承认的程度,

I still shook my head and declared my intention of remaining where I was.

我却态度坚定,依旧摇摇头,表明我要留在那里的意图。

She was about to renew her entreaties when a door slammed overhead,

她正要重新提出她的恳求,这时只听见楼上有很响的关门声,

and the sound of several footsteps was heard upon the stairs.

接着就听到楼梯上的一些脚步声。

She listened for an instant, threw up her hands with a despairing gesture,

她倾听了片刻,举起双手做了一个绝望的姿势,

and vanished as suddenly and as noiselessly as she had come.

便和她来时一样,悄无声息地遽然消失了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536909.html