工程师大拇指案 24被砍掉的大拇指(10)(在线收听

The walls were of wood, but the floor consisted of a large iron trough,

房间的墙壁是木头做的,但是地板却是由一个大铁槽构成的。

and when I came to examine it I could see a crust of metallic deposit all over it.

当我开始察看它时,我看到上面积了满满一层金属积屑。

I had stooped and was scraping at this to see exactly what it was

我弯下腰去,正用手指去挖,想看看到底是什么东西,

when I heard a muttered exclamation in German and saw the cadaverous face of the colonel looking down at me.

这时只听到一声德语的低沉的惊叫,同时看到上校那张死灰色的脸正朝下望着我。

'What are you doing there?' he asked.

'你在那儿干什么?'他问道。

I felt angry at having been tricked by so elaborate a story as that which he had told me.

由于上了他那精心编造的故事的当,我感到很生气。

'I was admiring your fuller's-earth,' said I;

'我正在欣赏您的漂白土,'我说,

'I think that I should be better able to advise you as to your machine if I knew what the exact purpose was for which it was used.'

'我想如果我知道了使用这台机器的真正目的,我不是更能向您提供一些有关它的建议吗?'

The instant that I uttered the words I regretted the rashness of my speech.

可是话一出口,我立即就为自己鲁莽的语言而感到后悔。

His face set hard, and a baleful light sprang up in his gray eyes.

他的脸色变得很难看,灰色的眼睛里射出了邪恶的光芒。

'Very well,' said he, 'you shall know all about the machine.'

'很好,'他说,'你会知道这机器的一切!'

He took a step backward, slammed the little door, and turned the key in the lock.

他向后退了一步,砰地一声关上了小门,将插在锁孔里的钥匙转动了一下。

I rushed towards it and pulled at the handle,

我向门冲去,使劲地拉着把手,

but it was quite secure, and did not give in the least to my kicks and shoves.

但是这门关得严严实实,尽管我连踢带推,它却纹丝不动。

'Hello!' I yelled. 'Hello! Colonel! Let me out!'

'喂!'我大叫起来。'喂,上校!放我出去!'

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536913.html