工程师大拇指案 30被砍掉的大拇指(16)(在线收听

"Half dazed, I went into the station and asked about the morning train.

“我昏昏沉沉地走进车站,打听早班火车的时间。

There would be one to Reading in less than an hour.

知道一小时内将有一班开往雷丁的火车。

The same porter was on duty, I found, as had been there when I arrived.

我发现值班的还是我来时就在那儿的那位搬运工。

I inquired of him whether he had ever heard of Colonel Lysander Stark. The name was strange to him.

我询问他是否听说过莱桑德·斯塔克上校这个人,看来他对这个名字很陌生。

Had he observed a carriage the night before waiting for me? No, he had not.

我问他是否注意到昨天晚上等候我的一辆马车,他说没有。

Was there a police-station anywhere near? There was one about three miles off.

问他附近是否有警察局,他说三英里外有一个。

It was too far for me to go, weak and ill as I was.

像我这样,伤疲交加,这段距离对我来说实在是太远了。

I determined to wait until I got back to town before telling my story to the police.

我决定回到城里以后再去报警。

It was a little past six when I arrived, so I went first to have my wound dressed,

回到城里时才六点稍过一点,所以我先去包扎伤口。

and then the doctor was kind enough to bring me along here.

难为这位医生陪送我来到这里,

I put the case into your hands and shall do exactly what you advise."

我把这个案子托付给您,我将完全按照您的意见办。”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536919.html