绿玉皇冠案 09霍尔德先生的家庭情况(1)(在线收听

"And now a word as to my household, Mr. Holmes, for I wish you to thoroughly understand the situation.

"现在说一下我的家里的情况,福尔摩斯先生,因为我希望你对整个情况有个全面的了解。

My groom and my page sleep out of the house, and may be set aside altogether.

我的马夫和听差是睡在房子外面的,这两个人可以完全撇开不谈。

I have three maid-servants who have been with me a number of years and whose absolute reliability is quite above suspicion.

我有三个女佣人,她们已跟随我多年,都是绝对可靠而无须置疑的。

Another, Lucy Parr, the second waiting-maid, has only been in my service a few months.

不过,另外有一个叫露茜·帕尔的当帮手的侍女,在我家里服侍只有几个月。

She came with an excellent character, however, and has always given me satisfaction.

不过她的优秀品格使我深感满意。

She is a very pretty girl and has attracted admirers who have occasionally hung about the place.

她是个非常漂亮的姑娘,有时会招惹一些爱慕她的人在周围荡来荡去。

That is the only drawback which we have found to her, but we believe her to be a thoroughly good girl in every way.

这是我们发现她身上唯一的不足之处,但是无论从哪方面讲,我们都相信她是个十足的好姑娘。

So much for the servants. My family itself is so small that it will not take me long to describe it.

关于仆人方面的情况就是这些。我家庭本身是很简单的,无须花费许多时间来讲。

I am a widower and have an only son, Arthur.

我是个鳏夫,只有一个名叫阿瑟的独生子。

He has been a disappointment to me, Mr. Holmes -- a grievous disappointment.

他使我很失望,福尔摩斯先生,真叫人伤心啊。

I have no doubt that I am myself to blame.

这无疑是我自己的过错。

People tell me that I have spoiled him. Very likely I have.

人家都说是我宠坏了他,很可能是这样。

When my dear wife died I felt that he was all I had to love.

在我爱妻去世后,我觉得只有他一个人是我应该疼爱的,

I could not bear to see the smile fade even for a moment from his face.

我甚至看见他有片刻的不高兴都受不了。

I have never denied him a wish.

我对他从来是有求必应的。

Perhaps it would have been better for both of us had I been sterner, but I meant it for the best."

如果早先我对他严格一点,也许对我们俩都要好些,但我所做的一切都是为他好。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537760.html