绿玉皇冠案 13霍尔德先生的家庭情况(5)(在线收听

"When he was gone I unlocked my bureau, made sure that my treasure was safe, and locked it again.

"等他走后,我将大柜橱打开,查看我的宝物是否安然无事,然后我再把柜子锁上。

Then I started to go round the house to see that all was secure

接着我开始到房子各处巡视一番,看看是否一切安全,没有差错。

a duty which I usually leave to Mary but which I thought it well to perform myself that night.

在平时,我总是将这个任务交给玛丽的,但我想当晚最好由我亲自巡视。

As I came down the stairs I saw Mary herself at the side window of the hall, which she closed and fastened as I approached.

当我下楼梯时,我看见玛丽一个人在大厅的边窗那里,而在我走近她时,她把窗户关上并插上了插销。

'Tell me, dad,' said she, looking, I thought, a little disturbed,

'告诉我,爹,'她说,神情似乎有些慌张,

'did you give Lucy, the maid, leave to go out to-night?' 'Certainly not.'

'是你允许侍女露茜今天晚上出去的吗?' '当然没有。'

'She came in just now by the back door.

'她刚从后门进来。

I have no doubt that she has only been to the side gate to see someone, but I think that it is hardly safe and should be stopped.'

我相信她刚才是到边门去会见什么人,我想这样很不安全,必须制止她。'

'You must speak to her in the morning, or I will if you prefer it.

'明早你一定对她讲讲,假如你希望我讲的话,那我就对她讲好了。

Are you sure that everything is fastened?' 'Quite sure, dad.'

你肯定各处都关好了吗?' '十分肯定,爹。'

'Then, good-night.' I kissed her and went up to my bedroom again, where I was soon asleep."

'那么,晚安!'我亲了她一下便上楼到卧室里去,不久就睡着了。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537764.html